Gloves for swordsmanship: another option

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Linda Heenan
Gloves for swordsmanship: another option

Post by Linda Heenan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:27 pm

For some time we have experimented with various gloves to see which are the most protective of fingers while training with heavy weapons. The problem exists in all styles of swordsmanship and so far, seems to have only been fixed with steel gauntlets. This latest idea I'd like to share with you was discovered by Paul Wagner after he broke "yet another" finger through his best lacrosse gloves in training. That was with a shinai. Take a look at these:

http://eggarmor.net/01.htm

They are made of plastic, not steel, and therefore can be shaped for the correct grip, for any type of swordsmanship you do. In fact, shaping them for the correct Chinese swordsmanship grip almost forces you to keep it correctly. After you have cut out the required section of plastic, there is nowhere more natural for you to rest your thumb. I whacked Paul hard on the hand with my wooden jian yesterday, at his request. he didn't even feel it. When using these gauntlets, you wear a softer pair of gloves inside to prevent rubbing.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

Nik

Re: Gloves for swordsmanship: another option

Post by Nik » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:17 am

That looks like a really good idea.

Michael

Post by Michael » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:34 pm

A similar, often easier solution is a demi gauntlet, which would be like if you removed the thumb and forward knuckle protection. Demi gauntlets are usually one or two solid pieces, the only joint at the intersection of the cuff(they may or may not extend further back on the cuff). They're usually made of steel, but you should be able to find hard leather as well.

The gauntlets that you linked to are over $200, while my instructor personally makes demi gauntlets for $30 each. And you can put whatever glove you like underneath. So it might be more practical.

Here's an example, just from a random google image search: http://www.goldenboararmoury.com/sitebu ... 00h225.jpg
Antitheses: A blog for martial artists in search of a good conversation.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:03 pm

The demi gauntlets are still not protecting the fingers though. The fingers are the parts most likely to break, and also the base of the thumb. It was the first finger joint that Paul recently broke. I've learnt that expense becomes a minor issue when faced with many months of pain or incapacitation as an alternative. I don't know if the gauntlets above are the best design for full speed Chinese swordsmanship by experienced people. But I've put them out here as another option. I won't be able to afford any to try out for quite some time yet.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

Michael

Post by Michael » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Linda Heenan wrote:The demi gauntlets are still not protecting the fingers though. The fingers are the parts most likely to break, and also the base of the thumb. It was the first finger joint that Paul recently broke. I've learnt that expense becomes a minor issue when faced with many months of pain or incapacitation as an alternative. I don't know if the gauntlets above are the best design for full speed Chinese swordsmanship by experienced people. But I've put them out here as another option. I won't be able to afford any to try out for quite some time yet.
The point of demi gauntlets is that they go over a protective glove, providing simple and effective protection over the parts that don't move while staying out of the way of the parts that do. They are not meant to be used alone.

But for the kind of money this guy is asking for, I'd bet you could get a decent pair of fully articulated gauntlets. How's that for finger protection?
Antitheses: A blog for martial artists in search of a good conversation.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Yes, but we are not allowed to use steel in the tournaments, so I thought these would be a good alternative. It's also possible that this will give one of our own artisans an idea for producing something purpose built more cheaply. I might even do it for myself if I can work out how to mould the plastic into shape and where to get it from.

Nik

Post by Nik » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:47 am

Pricing is always a touchy issue. The material price is always WAY lower, but the price is in the end for covering the living costs of the maker. Low number of pieces, lots of handwork = high price.

You can always finally make your own gloves cutting out plastic or sheet metal and glue it on your cheaper gloves yourself, to save the money. Then it's just the work and a couple of bucks for the sheets of plastic or steel.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:00 am

Linda Heenan wrote:... we are not allowed to use steel in the tournaments...

FYI, since all strikes, including kicks to the groin & strikes with the hand, are legal in the Traditional Chinese Sword League (TCSL) tournaments, no steel parts are allowed on any surface one might strike with.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:05 am

I've seen motocross gloves with hard plastic over the fingers & knuckles, used by beginners at my seminars, has anyone tried those?

Something like this-

Maybe these could be modified for our kind of use?

BTW, those following this thread might want to cross reference with the tread-
Suggested Gear For Chinese Swordplay - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=732&p=3966&hilit=Su ... +for#p3966