Advice on finding instruction

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

dcounts
Advice on finding instruction

Post by dcounts » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:44 pm

1) Is there a non-weapons martial art that you would suggest as a useful prelimary to learning chinese sword techniques?

2) I searched this forum for any mention of "Birmingham" or "Alabama" (guess where I'm from) and found no postings. Is anyone aware of instructors of chinese sword techniques in the north/central Alabama region?

Thank you!

- David

xingyi24

Re: Advice on finding instruction

Post by xingyi24 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:18 am

David,

You are asking, in a round-about way the same question everyone on this forum asked themselves at first, and the sorry fact is, it can only be answered by asking more questions.

Why do you want to learn? Some people want to defend themselves, while some people, even in a world where we turn quickly to technology to fix our problems, would rather find ways to become our own solutions. Others feel it’s a better alternative to being a hamster on a treadmill. What do you want?

Do you want to study the applications of the sword, or do you want to only refine your body while handling a sword? As a study, the sword can lead into a whole world of branch roads of knowledge. You study anatomy, metallurgy, physics, mechanics, and the concept elusive to most, chi. You can still learn about your own body and exercise while “looking cool” with “wu shu,” but, make no mistake, there is a difference, and there are many rewards from learning the applications and gaining the focus associated with swordplay. A sword tip moves much faster than a fist, and it is an extension of the core principles of an art.

How long do you want to go before someone suggests you pick up a sword? Some styles put a weapon in your hand early, and some will have you wait for a very long time. I have been studying my art for 17 years, but have only practiced with swords for 11. By the time they decided I was ready, 1, I was 18 and could buy a sword, and 2, my knowledge of the core was strong enough that it seemed natural and comfortable going through the form motions. If I wasn't so young, they may have started me with a sword sooner.

What does that sword look like? Even in Chinese swordsmanship, there are different swords with different applications and techniques. I have been a practitioner of the liuyedao (willow leaf saber), though I’ll admit the jian (straight sword) is growing on me a bit, and then the goose quill saber that is rumored to combine the two a bit, though I never really handled one. These are just some of the most common. There are two handed swords, and the Miaodao that looks much like a longer, straighter katana.

Now to the rest of your questions,

“1) Is there a non-weapons martial art that you would suggest as a useful prelimary to learning chinese sword techniques?”

I don’t know of any truly weapon-bereft martial arts. Some start with the weapon, like escrima from the Philippines, and some use the weapon in the advanced levels, which seems to be the case for the Chinese styles I've come accross. Nobody said a student has to ever pick up the weapon though. That’s up to you. It’d be best to find out which style fits your goals. I played with Chen Tai Chi, and hap ki do, and I sparred with many other styles, but I stick with xingyiquan. It seems to just feel better to me, though I know many who dislike it precisely for the reasons I love it, and vice versa with theirs.

2) I searched this forum for any mention of "Birmingham" or "Alabama" (guess where I'm from) and found no postings. Is anyone aware of instructors of chinese sword techniques in the north/central Alabama region?

I can’t help you with this much either. I did a quick search for you too, and I came up with a lot of Korean and Japanese, though there was one wing chun school I know nothing about. Take the time though to find a school you are comfortable with. With my training there was no ranking. You trained only because you were doing it for yourself. Some people though take pride in earning ranks and sashes. I trained in a park that was very, “come as you please.” Some schools are very business and regimented though. A friend of mine had a teacher derogatorily called Master PayMe. People didn’t stay there long, so one of your best sources is the feedback of a teacher’s students.

I hope this helps. Good luck, and welcome to the community.

Michael

Post by Michael » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:10 am

dcounts wrote:1) Is there a non-weapons martial art that you would suggest as a useful prelimary to learning chinese sword techniques?
There are a great many people who begin practicing swordsmanship with no prior experience. Prior experience almost always helps on the intellectual level, but does not necessarily help on the physical level. Occasionally it can be detrimental. Of course, Chinese swordsmanship does tend to build upon foundations of unarmed martial arts, but I don't think that it should be a hard and fast prerequisite.
Antitheses: A blog for martial artists in search of a good conversation.

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:08 pm

I bought a book that listed the basic techniques and started practicing before I had any formal transmission of taijiquan.
I have to say that in this case that it made all the difference knowing the body mechanics and the way the body is used.

I had some japanese sword introduction and some foil instruction, the taij was so totally unlike these I was amazed. The flowing aspect of taijiquan lends itself very well to the dynamics of sword play and this is not likely to be something that can be seen or stumbled upon.

Still the work I did with swords before learning the energies of taiji counted as physical training, it just made some bad habits in motion. I do think it is possible to learn using mostly private practice, I would say that stance and grip based qi-gong is a goods foundation and can be picked up easily. The flow is harder to know, it takes push hands like practice to know the feel. At least this is what I think.

I think that you should start practicing from the ground up. If you cannot find proper instruction locally you can still begin training using stance work and grip.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:01 am

dcounts wrote:...earched this forum for any mention of "Birmingham" or "Alabama" ... Is anyone aware of instructors of chinese sword techniques in the north/central Alabama region?
Sometimes if you really want it, you have to be willing to travel for it... no ofense, but I have to scratch my head when I meet people (or get emails, phone calls from them) who tell me they really want to study taijiquan or swordsmanship, so when am I coming to their town? When I suggest they get on a plane & come to a seminar here or there (it is the 21st c, after all) they act like I'm crazy. That's when I give up on them, when I wanted to see my teacher, I took out a loan, bought a ticket & flew to China for a month of training. So the short answer is, if the mountain ain't coming to you, get off your arse & go to the mountain...