Stepping in Yang Shi Jian

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

lauri
Stepping in Yang Shi Jian

Post by lauri » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:44 am

Dear Laoshi,

Lately I heard about another version about turning the back leg during the chou cut in the Yang Shi jian form - to turn back leg not on heel (as the waist turns forward and force comes from raising from the first leg) but according to central axis of foot - so, heel moves backward and toes forward during stepping. Is this also one more possibility to do it? For me its not "logical", because as the leg is more closely "connected" to heel than to the toe, then bringing heel backwards will also draw back part of the body and will interrupt bringing force out forward direction.

lauri

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:59 am

You are right, when turning the waist forward into a bow posture, you must turn on your heel. As the 'classics' repeatedly instruct, the waist is the commander of ALL movements. If the waist is moving forward, directing the power in that direction, you do not want your heel moving backwards in the opposite direction, doing this would pull your body in opposite directions breaking is strength just as you want to use that strength.

I've seen the incorrect movement of the foot you describe being used by practitioners of contemporary Wushu taijiquan forms. The only reason why I can think they use this method is to achieve a longer, & better looking, stance by pushing the rear heel back. The proper method of achieving a longer stance is to take a longer step. Its more difficult to do this while also maintaining the principle of No Double Weighting (taking an empty step) so people discover this method of cheating. Of course they are only cheating themselves.