To Armor or not to Armor?

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin
Leather Armor of Miao Minority

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:55 am

Last night I was doing research for my next book (Late Qing Swords & Swordsmanship, co-authored with Tom & Rollins), reading up a little on the Miao Rebellion. The Miao are a minority people who live in the mountains of Southwest China. The Miao made armor of Buffalo hide, which they coated in layers of lacquer. In Armies of the 19th Century, Asia, China by Ian Heath, the author reports that, "These (armor) were said to be proof against Western bayonets. Even a well made sopiao (Miao spear), though it might penetrate such an armour sufficiently to wound the wear, tended to get stuck in the leather, so that the 'wearer may and usually does kill his assailant with his sword.' " (pg. 114)

*I would recommend this book as an excellent reference to those interested in knowing what the arms & armor of the day was like during the life & times of Yang Luchan & his son's.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dingjia Armor Post

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:59 pm

For those interested in what Chinese Dingjia was like, please see the tread Warriors in brigandine armour... at SFI:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread ... 23#newpost

For those interested in making something relatively simple to use for modern practice, I suggest taking a look at the 8th & 9th illustration down, the paintings with the caption: "Two Qing warriors in chainmail, equipped with saber and bow..." Notice the leather tassets used to protect the legs. In the photos above these, you'll see the dingjia (brigindine versions of these). These shouldn't be too difficult to make out of leather or heavy material.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Armor Reference Book

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:33 pm

The best book I've ever found on Chinese Armor is now in paperback:

Zhongguo Gudai Junrong Fushi

Ancient Chinese Armour

see: http://www.paragonbook.com/html/browses ... N=17587676