Hanwei Cutting Jian?

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

J HepworthYoung
Re: Hanwei Cutting Jian?

Post by J HepworthYoung » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:00 pm

I feel that it is all but impossible to fail to underestimate the contribution to historical swordsmanship that this sword embodies.

I do not mean to praise, I mean for these words to express my gratitude.

Thank you Laoshi Rodell.

xingyi24

Post by xingyi24 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:43 am

Is the guard a clamshell construction or is it a solid piece the tang is fed through?

jonpalombi

Post by jonpalombi » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:27 pm

Say Laoshi,

Congratulations on the historical authenticity you have maintained, with this design. It's clean and simple, yet elegant in appearance. It looks like it would be a bit lighter in weight, than the Huanuo Royal Peony. True? Will Hanwei be offering this jian with "antiqued" fittings, like they do their European line of swords? I think it would be a fantastic idea to have the option available. Regardless, I am eager to get my hands on one and get some serious training/test cutting done. How soon will they be available through Seven Stars Trading Co? Thanks for caring about establishing a group of Chinese cutting swords, with genuine, historically accurate Qing era fittings. Boy, I can hardly wait to get mine!!! :mrgreen: How is the liuyedao design progressing?

Ciao, Jon Palombi
A wise person aspires to learn the practice of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy Teacher. A fool cannot tell the difference.

Chris Fields

Post by Chris Fields » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:05 pm

Hey there, it's been awhile since I was on this forum, but I saw a link from Jon about the new sword over on the sword forum. Congrats Scott! The blade looks really nice and I look forward to seeing some cutting demos. I'm really looking forward to seeing your Dao design. I still have a Jian i want to make for you, maybe even a Dao as well, and have you do some testing on them. Again, congrats and keep up all the great work you have been doing for chinese swordsmanship.
www.royalkungfu.com

Stage combat weapons and Martial Arts Training weapons:
www.sterlingarmory.com

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:12 am

Chris Fields wrote:... congrats and keep up all the great work you have been doing for chinese swordsmanship.
Thanks... just back from teaching down in Texas this weekend, the tool production arrived while I was down in Austin, will be putting it thru it paces this week & taking photos for the CAS/Hanwei catalog, will post some here...

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Received Production Type of Hanwei Cutting Jian

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:40 pm

The production type of the CAS/Hanwei Cutting Jian arrived last week, while I was teaching down in Texas, so today was the first chance I had to put it to the test... no problems at all. I used the same dead tree I use for all my sword structure tests & after bringing my cuts up to full power without damaging the blade or edge in the slightest, I decided to give it 108 Pi cuts on the same section of the blade I had been testing... the result, not even a small ding...

Now that the production type is out, it shouldn't be too long until this jian is in production...
Attachments
HnweiJianStructure.JPG
HnweiJianStructure.JPG (448.02KiB)Viewed 22151 times

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Received Production Type of Hanwei Cutting Jian

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Scott M. Rodell wrote:... CAS/Hanwei Cutting Jian... put it to the test... no problems at all... 108 Pi cuts on the same section of the blade I had been testing... not even a small ding...
Here's a photo of the tested jian's edge after cleaning off the tree sap -
Attachments
HanweiJianAfter.JPG
HanweiJianAfter.JPG (326.07KiB)Viewed 22135 times

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cutting with the Hanwei Cutting Jian

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 am

Of course it has to rain the days I have free to get in some test cutting practice... well at least it wasn't wet enough to make it slippery & happily the jian is cutting well...
Attachments
SMR-HnweiLiao1.JPG
SMR-HnweiLiao1.JPG (441.06KiB)Viewed 22121 times

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hanwei Jian Cutting into Dowel

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:01 am

I didn't mean to test the edge by cutting into the dowel supporting the rice straw mats, but the result is pleasing, halfway thru the 1" dowel & not damage to the edge...
Attachments
HnwiJainDowel.JPG
HnwiJainDowel.JPG (469.88KiB)Viewed 22121 times

Nik

Post by Nik » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:15 am

If this is hard wood, it's certainly impressive, especially regarding the person doing the cut. ;)

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Nik wrote:If this is hard wood...
It's oak...

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:48 am

Good morning,

I am a Dao Qi Quan student of Shifu John Painter's.

First of all, I want to thank you Shifu Rodell for undertaking this project. It will be a great boon to everyone who trains seriously with jian to have affordable, reliable, historically accurate cutting swords available. I and my training partners look forward with great anticipation to your new cutting jian finally coming to market. I do have one question, however:

My biggest problem with cutting jian thus far has been not so much with the blades (although that has certainly been a problem on some), but with the furniture not being able to withstand the repetitive impacts and coming loose quickly. How have the handle, guard and pommel of your prototype stood up to the testing? Are they still tight and well aligned?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question,

Be Well,

Mario Dominguez

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Mario wrote:... thank you Shifu Rodell...

Its my pleasure to to what I can for the world of Chinese Swordsmanship...
Mario wrote:... one question... the furniture ... able to withstand the repetitive impacts and coming loose quickly. How have the handle, guard and pommel of your prototype stood up to the testing? Are they still tight and well aligned?
They are still tight, no problems experienced thus far, no need to re-tighten the grip. The assembly is held tight by a nut that can be tighten with an allen wrench. So should it become loose over a longer period of time, it should be quite easy to quickly tighten up. Also the grip itself is made of resin that fits very tight with the steel hilt fittings. One advantage of using a resin grip over a wood one is that it will not change shape the way wood will as it shrinks with changes in humidity.

Mario

Post by Mario » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:37 pm

Thanks for the info Shifu. It makes me very happy to hear that the whole sword has stood up so well to impact, especially since you were cutting dense targets like trees. Very interesting rationale for using resin for the handle BTW.

I can't wait to play with one of these. I think we're going to have some real fun together 8) .

Mario

jonpalombi

Post by jonpalombi » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:03 pm

Hey Laoshi,

Any chance you will bring the Hanwei prototype to the Chinese Swordsmanship seminar in Brattleboro? Boy, I'd love to get a closer look at it and feel it's balance (perhaps the chance to practice a few cuts with it). I'd better start saving up some extra $$$ for one! 8)

See you in 11 days, Jon
A wise person aspires to learn the practice of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy Teacher. A fool cannot tell the difference.