Sword "Wrestling"

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

tiamat9989
Sword "Wrestling"

Post by tiamat9989 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:20 pm

Forgive my many questions comparing with Western systems, but the issue of close-quarter sword fighting has come to my mind recently.

Are there any techniques in dao or jian combat where one would use wrestling/barehanded disarm moves when close in on the opponent?

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:55 pm

Well I don't know if the word "wrestling" is appropriate at all, but I would imagine that all sword cultures would somehow incorporate at least the use of the off-hand at close quarters. However, in the styles that I've practiced, you wouldn't want to come to such a distance before exhausting other options. Some styles probably avoid spending much time on the subject, preferring to teach a swordsman to avoid closing, but there is something to be said for learning what to do if things go wrong. Especially considering that your duifang is attempting to thwart your efforts.

I couldn't give specific examples, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some use of the off-hand in Chinese swordsmanship.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:33 pm

There are a lot of close combat options in our swordsmanship. Here are a few I can see in the first section of the 8 section jian form:

1. Pommel strike
2. When a pommel strike is pulled back from, turn the blade so the tip faces the duifang.
3. Poke fingers into the eyes or throat.
4. Use the sword as a horizontal barrier and kick to the chest underneath the blade (probably to bring distance back to where the blade is useful).
5. Palm strike to a duifang coming from the front while using the blade tip to the lower leg of one coming from behind.
6. Roll around the duifang's body back to back, keeping the connection long enough to come down with a heavy strike from the opposite side.

.... and that's just the obvious ones in 1st section.

Nik

Post by Nik » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:39 pm

There should be a lot of it, since sword fighting wasn't usually about fair duels on a planche that goes only forth and back. You have body rams, pulls, strikes, etc. if you aren't in a position to use a sword from but can take advantage of the position you ended up in. Whether intentionally or forced, running away from someone else ending up infront of or to the side of another guy with a weapon. Especially when opponents are armored, you may not have the same options as with unarmored ones.

tiamat9989

Post by tiamat9989 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:24 pm

As I expected, the answer is yes.

It seems rather rare to see any footage/pictures of such techniques, however.

Linda, is there a website that has 8 section jian form you referred to?

Thanks.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Linda, is there a website that has 8 section jian form you referred to?
Not that I know of, unless Albert Yefimov has done it. It was on DVD performed by Teacher Scott Rodell at the 2002 Sword Festival in Estonia, but I think those are out of production. He does have it in book form though. You can get it here:
http://www.sevenstarstrading.com/booksv ... dsmanship/

There are several DVDs with Master Wang Yen-Nien doing the Jian form. You could get one from the American Yangjia Michuan Association.

Tashi James

Re: Sword "Wrestling"

Post by Tashi James » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Wasn't the question about disarming a person armed with a sword?
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:58 pm

Yes, and since our swordsmanship comes out of a complete martial arts system, there are a lot of applicable techniques in our forms. The emptyhand form hasn't been mentioned yet, as a source of close in grappling techniques, but don't discount anything. Some of the European sword styles I've looked at teach grappling as a natural part of swordsmanship. Our jian form has a number of kicks/hand strikes that could be used to drive a duifang out to sword distance. On the other hand, if he is already in very close, you might as well take control of the situation with grappling techniques that are also in the form. We have two hands and two feet. If one hand is holding the sword, that leaves three more weapons available to us. Let's not waste any opportunity.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

Tashi James

Post by Tashi James » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:14 pm

oops. my mistake..misread the question
Last edited by Tashi James on Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:02 am

Linda Heenan wrote:... since our swordsmanship comes out of a complete martial arts system...
Exactly. Traditionally, Chinese swordsmanship isn't a stand alone art, but part of every Chinese martial arts system. When two armed protagonists come in close contact, inside of sword distance to striking or grappling distance, the preference in Chinese Swordsmanship, as demonstrated within the existing forms, is to keep the sword in play, typically by using the free hand to push, or strike, or jam up, the duifang leaving the sword arm free to poke or cut. As noted above, pommel strikes & pushing with the blade are also employed, with the goal being to push the duifang back, off balance to sword distance, quickly following up with a cut. In cases where one's sword is ineffectual, or one is without a weapon, all the usual techniques of empty hand come into play, with an obvious emphasis on locking & twisting the sword arm, typically in in concert with a strike.

With in our standard Chinese Swordsmanship training at GRTC, we regularly have one unarmed student face an armed one. This training helps (one might say forces) the student to learn proper distance (we would say sticking & following), the stepping needed to moving into & just out of distance, & voiding.