Antique & Modern Chinese Jian Dimension Request

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

bond_fan
Antique & Modern Chinese Jian Dimension Request

Post by bond_fan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:35 pm

This is sort of a continuation of my post regarding Chinese Jian Blade Construction.

One of the biggest problems any purchaser of Chinese martial arts weaponry faces is finding enough examples to physically handle to see if that particular style and dimensions are right for you. Unlike cars or say something closer to the average person’ budget, musical instruments, there are really no stores where one can just walk in and handle various modern or antique swords to see if the weight, point of balance (POB) and length are right for them.

Of the stores that carry modern weapons most are just modern reproductions made of inferior spring steel and were made for display or demonstration purposes only, not for actual usage like cutting or sword vs. sword/sword vs. pole arm demonstrations.

To make matters worse there is no one store that carries a large variety of antiques swords to try. Additionally, large variances exist throughout the dynasties in non-standardization of steel or production techniques/styles (See i - footnote). At best one can hope to be able to handle an authentic antique if they are lucky enough to meet one who owns such a treasure and gained enough trust, so that person will allow them to see and hold those weapon(s). Just seeing an antique in a museum is not enough!

I was lucky enough to handle two antique daos that were of the dimensions one would expect that they could be used on the battlefield. I discovered that one had a really nice blade, but the handle made in the typical rectangular style of the emperor Qianlong was not to my liking, because the squared edges bothered my hand when doing certain sword techniques. Had I purchased a modern reproduction of this style dao for form and cutting practice I would have been disappointed and would want to sell it. Another problem would have been finding someone to now buy a used sword!

Sure this happens all the time, people buy things sight unseen and are disappointed and sell for a loss, but can’t we wish for a best-case scenario?

A friend sent me dimensions of two jian he owns, a 29'' Huanuo and a Qing dynasty one. The both were 1 & 1/4'' wide at the guard, but the Qing blade tapered down to 1'' at the tip where as the full length Huanuo goes down to ¾” at the tip. I’m not sure if one would notice the difference of the slightly less wide tip or if it would be less structurally sound for cutting, but it was interesting to note the differences none-the-less.

So this leads me to my questions, for those willing to share as far as dimension goes for antique or modern Chinese jian that you have physically owned that were made for fighting, not parade arms:

1. What are the overall lengths, blade lengths measured from behind the guard, width and thickness at the guard and right before the tip and the POB?
2. What did you like and dislike about these jian?
3. I would also like to hear your experiences in terms of balance for forms practice, actual use for cutting and perhaps how they held up in sparring demonstrations with various modern reproductions as well?

I really don't have much experience handling real blades that were not made solely for demonstration purposes where the blade flops around, so I need to get an idea of what will be right for me for both modern and antique jian.

Thanks!
i Paul Champagne, Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:59 am, GRTC forum post.