Forms practice using a sharp blade.

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

fzara2000
Forms practice using a sharp blade.

Post by fzara2000 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:30 pm

I would like to know what the experts and teachers think about forms training with a live blade vs a blunt one.

As a beginner I always practice forms using a wooden reproduction or an un-sharpened Adam Hsu Jian. I rarely use live blades for forms and almost only use them in cutting practice.

The problem is that most unsharpened swords, aluminum, and wood ones are lighter and feel different than real ones.

Note: I'm refering to solo forms only, not sparring.
Frank Zaria

B.Ko

Post by B.Ko » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:30 pm

I practice with sharp modern and antique jian. I use wooden ones in sparring or if I'm trying some moves I'm not familiar with.

The sharp sword keeps one mindful with the proper mind intent of practicing with a real weapon. I've seen lots of people treat their wooden swords like...well a blunt stick...and they do things that would cut themselves to shreds with a real sword.

fzara2000

Post by fzara2000 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:23 pm

Definitely when using the non-sharp blade some of the respect is unintentionally lost.

PS: I would love to hear Mr. Rodell's opinion on the subject of sharp vs blund blade for forms..
Frank Zaria

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forms practice using a sharp blade.

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:39 am

fzara2000 wrote:... teachers think about forms training with a live blade vs a blunt one...
I've been an antique sword dealer for over 15 years, so I've sold quite a few good old swords to practitioners for training. Some of them have gone on to have Philip Tom polish their swords, which means they come back "razor sharp." To date, every single practitioner who has had their sword polished has report back to me that it improved his practice because he no longer ever just "fooled around" with the sword, but always practiced more mindfully.

The simple reason for this is obvious, do the form wrong with a sharp blade & cut yourself, perhaps seriously...

So, yes, when one's skill level has progressed sufficiently, one should practice with a live blade. But take your time getting there to avoid a trip to the emergency room.

jonpalombi

Post by jonpalombi » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:02 pm

B.Ko wrote:The sharp sword keeps one mindful with the proper mind intent of practicing with a real weapon. I've seen lots of people treat their wooden swords like...well a blunt stick...and they do things that would cut themselves to shreds with a real sword.
This is so true! One can never underestimate the element of consequence when developing a working relationship with a sharp sword. Our primary concern is not injuring ourselves while practicing forms or engaging in cutting targets. This is even more important when using a sharp antique jian or dao. Not only can you cut yourself, put a sizable gash in the ceiling or nick furniture, etc... you can potentially damage a martial treasure. I believe it is important to remeber that we are only temporary custodians of antique arms. It is a very serious responsibility to care for these remnants of a bygone age. So, while protecting ourselves with the mindfulness of potential injury, we must also be aware of the risk that our own perspiration and/or blood might do to the antique steel. Let alone possible scratches, scuffs and chips to the edge or point of the blade. We must handle sharp swords with great respect, especially antique ones. Keep 'em clean and well oiled, Folks. Ultimately, they belong to Humanity-At-Large and are due our most devoted care and attention.

Be well and practice often, Jon Palombi
A wise person aspires to learn the practice of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy Teacher. A fool cannot tell the difference.