The back foot

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

yowie_steve
The back foot

Post by yowie_steve » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:57 am

Hi.
During our Brissy meet-up and sword practice we discussed briefly how much the position of the back foot affects our swordplay.

Laoshi made sure with me that with the thrust in the Miao Dao routine that my back foot is placed perpendicular to my direction of travel. The "L" shaped feet position. Notably I think to get a good extension and for proper alignment. It makes me turn more side on and the resistance from the thrust goes through me through the side.

I am a little confused however since with Michuan Taiji sword play the feet positions are like when using hands. The back foot is 45 degrees. Even when performing a Ci.

I know that it is typical in boxing (Chinese and western) the back foot adopts the 45 degree position - bow step for instance. The back foot being that way helps with alignment, having lots of forward force being rooted through that leg. Such us when using Peng. The foot being like that also helps with using the "back" arm. The same side arm as the rear planted leg.

I have also noticed my medieval re-enacter friends (yes they can make suitable friends) :) tend to adopt the "L" shaped feet position when using sword and shield. Whether it is a result of intentional training or just "stick your foot there it feels right" I don't know. It appears that with your shield out you want to have your body more side-on to let that force go through your body sideways much like the resistance through the Miao Dao thrust. They like being side on to get lots of wind up with overhand strikes.

Is it the intention of Ci to still remain a little forward facing and therefore having the force from the thrust going through you into your back leg?

Steve

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:16 am

I'd like to hear more about this too. I also learnt from Laoshi and I don't remember an L shaped back foot position relative to the front facing forward foot, coming into it anywhere. That is not how I learnt the form and it's not how I've been practising miaodao cuts, so if I've missed something important, it's time to adjust that.

When training in English longsword, the L shape is a common stance. There is much triangular movement with the feet, and changes of position from side to side, avoiding cuts and staying out of range, then coming in again to reclaim the range while the other swordsman's blade is off centre from a powerful cut.

It was my understanding that the miaodao form we learnt was more linear because it was military and necessary to avoid hitting fellow soldiers with much sideways movement. If it is adaptable to a more European style then there is a lot more I could incorporate from the longsword training. I was trying not to mix the styles.

andiS

Post by andiS » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:26 pm

When fencing, the back foot should always be at right angles to the front foot - it gives you great back-foot stability.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:33 pm

I'm quite open to changing the way I've understood the form and adjusting foot positions. I believe our understanding is refined over time, in any of our forms. I have a DVD demonstration of someone doing the miaodao form from 10 years back. We do many things differently now, with a better understanding of the martial application. The movements don't change, but the way they are executed and the intent as a result of better understanding, improve and there are little adjustments. So, when I get the all clear from our teacher to adjust my foot positions, I'll happily do it.

As for the jian foot positions - they seem to work well for lightness and flexibility of movement, the way they are.