Seeking advice on buying a new jian

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

nyrell
Seeking advice on buying a new jian

Post by nyrell » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi,

I would like to ask for some advice from all of you who own at least one sharp sword.

I'm just back from a great weekend seminar (Swordfish 2007, http://www.ghfs.se/swordfish/) where I got another chance to do some test cutting. Once again I realized that test cutting is a really important aspect of learning to use the sword properly, and that I really need to buy myself a sharp sword as soon as possible.

If I buy a sharp sword it must be of good enough quality so that it will hold up to serious practice over a long period of time. Looking at what is available from Huanuo, as I see it I have two choices:

1. Buy a good mono steel sword for around $500.
2. Buy an even better sanmei sword for around $1000.

As I am a beginner when test cutting is concerned, do you think it would be better to start with a cheaper sword, that might be ruined from the misstakes that I might do as a beginner and then buy a sanmei later on when my skill has improved?

Or is it reasonable to expect that I should be able to avoid ruining the sword with beginner misstakes, in which case it would be a better idea to buy a sanmei directly?

It would be very interesting to hear both from people who bought a cheaper sword first, and people who bought an expensive sword first. Did you regret your choice? Is the sword keeping up well? Is it good enough for the practice that you want to do? Did you manage to ruin your sword by doing something stupid? If so, please tell me how so that I can try to avoid it! :-)

Looking forward to your answers,

Mattias Nyrell
Linköping, Sweden

B.Ko

Post by B.Ko » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:50 am

Nothing wrong with the Huanuo monosteel swords. They're pretty tough too. Just get one, practice lots and enjoy it. With the modern steels used there are some advantages to the spring temper monosteel.

nyrell

Post by nyrell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:34 am

Thanks for your quick answer! :-)

So do you mean that in some aspects the mono steel version is actually better? How come? And what aspects are better?

I take it that you have taken this approach yourself and have a mono steel sword? Have you been able to compare it to sanmei yourself? If so what were the main difference in your opinion?

/Mattias

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:20 pm

nyrell wrote:... in some aspects the mono steel version is actually better? How come? And what aspects are better?...
When it comes to test cutting (shizhan) you won' find any noticable difference between cutting with a good quality mono-steel sword or a sanmai blade.

Where you can feel a difference is in your form & fajin training with swords. A well tempered sanmai blade has a different feel that is more rewarding to work with. This is not something I can put in words, but sanmai feels "smoother" & has a different, finer vibration. This is especially true of the old jian. I've yet to come across any contemproy jian that really compare with the old ones.

Generally speaking, most companies put nicer fittings & scabbards on their sanmai blade. So if you want a better looking sword, you'll probably have to go with a sanmai blade sword. Either way, the price isn't that different when you consider the number of years you are going to get out of your sword, decades really...

B.Ko

Post by B.Ko » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:32 am

Having owned antiques and sanmai and monoswords I must say that the mono sword gives one that same 'fuzzy' feeling that shooters get with a 'beater' gun. You work it hard with little to no anxiety of 'banging it up'.

Being a novice, I can feel a bit of difference between handling an antique vs. a modern sword, but I can't tell a hair of difference between a modern sanmai and a modern monosteel sword.

nyrell

Post by nyrell » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks for your feedback! As I have not yet found a jian model that I really like a lot I think I will go with a mono steel sword at the moment, and then find a sanmei later if I feel the need.

Thanks