What Type of Blade are You Using for Cutting?

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

bond_fan
What Type of Blade are You Using for Cutting?

Post by bond_fan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:18 pm

I was talking to Scott Rodell the other day about whether he used antique swords for cutting rattan and bamboo? He told me heavy cutting can break a blade and with antiques one doesn't know how close they are to the stress point of breaking, so because of that using antique swords is not recommended.

I forgot to ask him if he used regular modern high carbon steel blades, the more fancy Damascus or San Mai insert high carbon blades or both for cutting?

I have read that one sword maker suggests using the non-fancy blade of their sword line for cutting, and I was wondering if that was due to more of not wanting to nick a fancy more expensive folded steel blade or durability concerns?

So Cutters if you do a lot of cutting with your swords I'd like to know what your preference is, plain blade, folded steel blade or both?

Thanks!
Tim

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:07 pm

Hello Tim, welcome to the forum. I don't use my antique jian for cutting. It seems to have an excellent blade and would probably make the best cutter of my swords. It's a piece of history though, and deserves to be preserved, so I use it for forms and other non cutting practise.

I'm using a Zheng Wu jian from the higher end range, and a Huanuo dao from the less expensive range. Both cut very well. If you think of a cutter as a tool, it makes sense to get the best one you can. They won't last for ever but they need to do a good job while you use them.

Linda