A few months observations and ?s

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Kyro R. Lantsberger
A few months observations and ?s

Post by Kyro R. Lantsberger » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:35 pm

As a "pre"new years resolution from about last October until now, I decided to focus on my neglected nei ja sword forms to enliven my practice and give myself some new goals to reach for. After appx. 6 months of solid focus on these forms I have the following observations to share and questions to put to Mr. Rodell and the forum at large.

Jian work - I get a bit more out of the Hsing-I jian than any of the other weapons forms. I pulled out an old videotape(!) of one of my teacher's teachers from Taiwan doing the form and I picked up a great deal of subtle movements that had been lost in a couple generations of teaching. Most of these motions really emphasize the different usages of the different blade areas ---flat, edge, point, ricasso. This has been lots of fun. The Yang Tai Chi jian form is obviously a masterful tool, but Hsing I just inspires me more.

Dao -- I like that other thread comparing Dao usage in Jian forms. The Taiwan master I mentioned previously taught a sort of combined Hsing I/Bagua Dao form that is bring tears to your eyes beautiful when you see him do it on the tape. Im really eating it up, some terrific material there.

Which brings me to the following obervations/questions
Western Equivalents --- I like the emerging scholarship in Western Martial Arts, and I really get the feeling from Dao work that I am working in the same principles as the old German Messer fencers. I think Jian is harder to classify, I really dont think that blade type existed for long in the West. Where would a Jian fall? As a Spatha?Viking type?

Also in terms of history.... How prevalent were Jian in usage/wear/battle? Most of the artwork I come across seems to show more Dao type blades.

Sorry for the ramble, just had some ideas I wanted to put out there.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A few months observations and ?s

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:06 am

Kyro R. Lantsberger wrote:... I like the emerging scholarship in Western Martial Arts... ?
You are right, there is a lot of good scholarship going in European Historical Swordsmanship circles. We can learn a great deal from them, afterall, a blade is a blade. There is much in common between Historical Swordsmanship from all areas & times. And to be honest, I have found the people I met who practice European Historical Swordsmanship to be quite open & interested in sharing. As long as you can give 'em a good fight, they accept you. No BS about whose got the "real" lineage, etc...
Kyro R. Lantsberger wrote:... in terms of history.... How prevalent were Jian in usage/wear/battle? Most of the artwork I come across seems to show more Dao type blades...
The jian fell out of wide spread use as a military weapon by the Mid-Ming dynasty. It them made a come back in the late Qing as a battlefield weapon used by militia who didn't employ military issued regulation weapons.