Kunwu sword applications demo by Jason Tsou

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Tomita
Kunwu sword applications demo by Jason Tsou

Post by Tomita » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:37 am

Jason Tsou demonstrates some very nice Kun Wu sword applications.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXTlFNkTLvg

Any thoughts?

Kind regards,

Tomita
'Taijiquan is mainly a solo affair, but companionship along the way is to be treasured'

-J. Dunbarr, quoted by John Loupos-

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kunwu sword applications demo by Jason Tsou

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:54 am

Tomita wrote:Jason Tsou...Any thoughts?
Not bad, not many people can use binding techniques properly. In response to the pi cut he demonstartes toward the end of the clip, use mo to deflect the cut outward & close.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:54 pm

Shaun and I practised the first four techniques this morning, to see if they were effective using the full weight training swords. It seems that they are. Excuse me if I don't know the correct names for the movements from that system. I will try to use something close.

The first one, taken from the either the common blade touching stand-off, or from a thrust, works easily. The ya to hua, or ci effect of the second technique also works. I'm sure if the press deflection was too big, or telegraphed, the duifang would avoid it, but it works if done quickly.

I really like the move that deflects high and circles the duifang's blade low. I like the way the thrust continues until there is an opening and it doesn't matter if the end of the circle is a high or low thrust. I just added that one to my repertoire.

The fourth technique works if you get the angle of deflection right. That's as far as we got before I had to stop and get ready for work.

What sort of material are the swords made of? They sound like aluminium. Obviously, they aren't sharp and these people might not handle sharp blades much, because they do things like run their hand up the blade. I know they aren't real swords, but ..... I do it too sometimes .... shouldn't we treat every sword as if it is sharp, just to get into good habits :wink: