questions on dao

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

ynze
questions on dao

Post by ynze » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:25 pm

Hello,

to begin with I'm new to the forum and new to the Tai Chi Dao. (furthermore I'm Dutch so please ignore any errors in my english) I've set my mind to learning an other form besides Tai Chi Chuan CMC-style. I bought a dvd of the yangstyle 13 posture form for dao(falchion it's called on the dvd).

Without further reading or so I embarked on this journey. I'm 2 months into practising and now started reading. Should have done it the other way around I suppose. I read somewhere in the forum about first practising on the different technics and then do the form. Alas, as I said before I have already started. I would like to ask some question for direction.

1) anyone have some tips on reading about the handling of a dao?

2) tips on how to train the different cuts etc of a dao. which different technics are there?

3) Scott Rodell wrote a book, that to my knowledge only covers the jian. Now I've read that there is a new book in the making about the dao. Is it known when it will be on the market.

I would appreciate you guys helping me out. thanx

Dan Fleet

Post by Dan Fleet » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:19 pm

I am not experienced in Yang style Dao, however it might be worthwhile finding a video or teacher that demonstrates the basic cuts and movements of the weapon within the context of the form.

You will see it often preached here, with good reason, that it is best to start by doing the basic cuts of your weapon literally thousands of times, to train accuracy and control.

When my own (Wu style) teacher teaches a weapon form, classes include going over the basic cuts and exercises as a form of warm-up; this reinforces the basic movements. Killing two birds with one blade, so to speak.

I too am interested in Mr Rodell (et al)'s latest foray into historical Chinese swordsmanship.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: questions on dao

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:29 am

ynze wrote:... I'm new to the forum...

Welcome...

ynze wrote:... I'm Dutch...

Did you know there are Chinese Swordsmanship Seminars twice a year in Holland?

ynze wrote:...1) anyone have some tips on reading about the handling of a dao?

As Dan Fleet suggested above, the first step should be to learn the basic cuts. The 13 Basic Cuts of Yangshi Taiji Dao are:

Kan, Chop

Duo, Two-handed Chop

Hua, Slice

Jie, Intercept

Gua, Shave

Liao, Slcie Upward

Zha, Downward Poke

Lu, Claw

Pi, Split

Chan, Bind or Wrap

Shan, Fan*

Lan, Obstruct

Hua, Slip Upwards

I've covered each of these, along with the form & applications, in my Manual of Taiji Dao in the same manner I covered the jian basic cuts in Chinese Swordsmanship. It will be published as part of a book I'm co-authoring - Twight of the Chinese Warrior, 1799 - 1911, Late Qing Swords & Swordsmanship (working title).

*you can see a short video of chan into a shan cut at:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... q=Shan+Cut

ynze

Post by ynze » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:54 am

Thank you for the information. I will be looking forword to your book. Hope it comes out soon. I'll be patient till then.

I know there is a workshop this year. Due to personal circumstances I cannot attend, but I will be looking for a next opportunity.

Thanx Ynze