left hand and fajin

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

josh stout
left hand and fajin

Post by josh stout » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:27 am

" Never in Taijiquan is there a two-handed strike or attack using the same power in each hand at the same time. There is a 'fa-jing' shake of the waist causing one hand to strike just before the other. The hands are firstly yin, then yang thus releasing yang

Qi into the attacker."

- Earle Montaigue, Tai Chi 13 Postures, 1998

I have been thinking about this statement in relation to the sword. I was told as part of the martial lore that the left hand "sword talisman" was used in duels to indicate where a strike was going to go, sort of like calling the shots in pool. While this may be apocryphal, I think it hides a deeper understanding of the use of the left hand. If you put intent into the left hand, just a fraction of a second before the right, it seems to set up the vibration and energy release mentioned in the above quote. The most obvious example of this is in the common situations where the left hand is following the right hand at the wrist. I used to lead with the right and follow with the left with the result that the left had little to do. However, if the intent of the left is slightly ahead of the right and finishing a fraction of a second before it, there is increased power on the right. It seems as though the left sets up a yin vibration that allows a release of yang power from the sword.

This is easy to try, and I would like to hear what people think about it. In particular I would like to know from people who cut regularly if this technique can be useful.

Josh
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: left hand and fajin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:02 am

The notions of Yin & Yang are prehaps the most misunderstood in taijiquan, or perhaps we should say, the terms people have taken the greatest liberty with redefining movements in a simplistic fashion.

In this art, Yin & Yang refer only to the weighting in the legs. The leg where the weight is primarily sinking is yin. The power that comes up from the legs & is manifest in the hands comes in eight types, i.e.: wardoff, rollback, press, push, pull down, split, elbow strike & shoulder strike. Each of these has varying amounts of yin & yang & is not simple yin or yang. A through reading of the Classics & Yang Family Manuals will clear this up.

josh stout wrote:... I was told as part of the martial lore that the left hand "sword talisman" was used in duels to indicate where a strike was going to go...

To begin with, I beleive everyone can see how poitning where you are about to attack would be a strategic error. More to the point, the Classic clearly instruct that no part of the body moves independant of any other part, but that when "One Thing Moves Everything Moves," & that the "Body is One Unit."

josh stout wrote:... If you put intent into the left hand, just a fraction of a second before the right, it seems to set up the vibration and energy release mentioned in the above quote...

Doing what you suggest violates the basic principles as outlined in the Classics mentioned above & reduces one's pwoer by spliting the body into parts instead of using it in a unified fashion.

As one who cuts regularly, I can say that it is using the whole body as one unit that creates power. The left hand is constantly helping the right, adding power, balancing the movement, & so on, as both move as spokes attached to a centeral hub, the waist.

(Come to a Swordsmanship Seminar & I'll be happy to show you how it works)

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:27 pm

I think we are talking about slightly different things. All martial arts should strive to move the body as one, but the quote I began with also shows how all parts don't move in the same way. As you say, there is a mixture of yin and yang (perhaps giving and receiving?) in all movements, but what I am trying to understand is how very slight variations in timing between two hands can lead to extra energy in the hand that comes slightly later. In the quote I posted, it discusses how in a two handed push there is energy developed by moving the hands slightly differently from each other. I have had this explained to me as part of how a push in taiji can be so powerful (that is apart from everything else one does like sinking, rooting, relaxing etc.). There is a slight variation in the two hands, and this lends itself to the "fajin". I know you are aware of this, as it is a principle found in many styles, but perhaps most fully worked out in taiji. I was speculating that a similar technique might apply to the two hands when using a sword. As I say, this is speculation, but based upon good MA theory, and backed up by a little experimentation on my own. If you say it is bad practice, I am more than willing to listen to your expertise, but I want to make sure we are talking about the same thing first. Like in the push, the body still moves as one following the general principles of good movement, but, as in the push, there is a slight difference in timing between the hands. If there is a reason this would work in the two handed push but not with a sword, I would like to hear it.

Josh

-Suhu

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:34 pm

Oh, regarding sword seminars, are you going to be in Highland Park for the October one?

Josh

-Suhu

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:57 pm

I've been reading up on qigong (in general) and the sword talisman is used outside of martial arts for some non-touch contact healing, this practice though not always using the sword talisman is said to be shown in some studies with mice to be statistically significant, ergo the notion the results are placebo is flawed as that the mice have no allusions about the treatment.

Anyway this seems relevant to the use of the left hand in Taiji Jian as that the sword talisman serves several purposes including external and internal aspects and applications, so to speak.

Laoshi, what you mention makes me ask if there is a manner of hinge or pivot point for the player at the level of the ground, as opposed to in the body, allowing the use of the ground through the entire body as a unit, where as using a pivot point on the body would divide the body and not allow the use of the ground to be as efficient. Am I mistaken?