wooden miao dao

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

KidPeng
wooden miao dao

Post by KidPeng » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:44 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the wooden miao dao from Little Raven. Has anyone had any experience with it? The company seems pretty good, and says it'll hold up in freeplay. Here's the link: http://little-raven.com/RS/MA/Do.html (miao dao at the bottom)

Good idea?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:55 pm

I haven't handled their changdao/miaodao but I've handled a number of their other models & they were all well made. The only question I have about Little Raven's miaodao concerns the blade cross section:

It looks a bit too "sharp" for free play. Even a wooden sword that comes to too sharp an edge can cause serious brusing or injury, compared with a wider, rounder edge. However, from my past experience with Little Raven, I think they can accomodate you if you ask them to but an edge on your miaodao like we use on our GRTC jian (she has a sample to work from).

KidPeng

Post by KidPeng » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:02 am

okay. that's a smart idea. i'll email them and see if it wouldn't cost too much extra to round out the "blade." chances are the majority of my practice will be solo, but the goal will certainly be to test it out when i come back to dc. thanks, laoshi.