Modern armour

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi Graham. These are called press studs and they are the sort of snap fasteners you might do up a jacket with. I'm using the top halves only. I will use some of the lower halves at strategic points on the under vest so that the two layers can be snapped together, making one thick gambeson.

These ones come in packs of 12. I've put up a picture of the underside of the top halves. Punch a hole through the fabric. Place the button piece with the shaft through the hole. Turn it all over and lay the flat part inside a little steel holder, which I didn't show because it flashed too much to be clearly seen. Put the other piece of the snap over the shaft on the other side of the material. Put the head of the shaft squashing tool into the shaft and hit the end of the tool several times with a hammer. The tools come in a little kit from sewing shops, as do the studs.

Image Image
[URL=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=229&i=img1196ax3.jpg

Linda Heenan

Eyelets and Laces

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:57 am

This is what the sides look like laced up. If the side pieces are being worn, the laces won't be very visible but they give the advantage of flexible sizing. This pattern was cut from a winter bodywarmer that fits me well, and made a couple of sizes larger to accommodate the padding. I also cut it longer. If someone needing more arm room, was to wear the gambeson, the lacing could begin on a lower eyelet.

There will be a panel in the same red dragon silk covering the the side area on the undervest, so that if the laces are let out, it will still look right. I'm not sure of the best lacing pattern yet.

Now I have to wait a few days. The seller I got this material from only had three yards. I found some more on the internet and it's coming from Hong Kong. Also, the packet of eyelets said it contained 40, but there were only 31, so I have to go shopping.

Tashi James

hah

Post by Tashi James » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:44 pm

I think the name sword sport says it all in the original advert.

Having trained in full contact stick fighting for a time(search the net for 'dog brothers') to get an idea. I can testify that the Arnis type helmet can take a pretty firm hit with a hardwood stick.

occasionally we used kendo armour as well. Which was actually quite good, until you went to ground or were disarmed.
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:35 am

Well, Tashi, obviously this isn't real armour. It's good enough for wood and even for blunt steel, at a low level. The more competent we all become, the more armour we will need to wear. I feel overly limited by not being allowed head shots. Therefore, helmets are good. When I train in the weekends, we use gambesons, helmets, the best gloves we can find, forearm protection, and elbow protection. That way we can train at full speed. I would rather wear the protection than have my training partner hold back. If he goes at it with everything he knows, I become more skilled.

Besides, this is pretty armour :D. My sword group at school is going to be in the school talent quest in a couple of weeks. I'll walk around in the gambeson and tasset looking the part, and my teenagers will fly all over the stage in something they have choreographed almost as well as Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It will be a showcase of Chinese swordsmanship to our community, so yeah .... the armour needs to be pretty :P

Tashi James

armour

Post by Tashi James » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi Linda, I think you misunderstood my post.

I was refering to the website advert in the original posts for which there is a link. Not to the that which has been discussed in the later posts.

apologies for not being clear.

Much kindness,
Tashi

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:17 am

:lol: Yeah, this is one of those topics that has changed over the months.

I hope to have this set usable in another week. On a different note, I think I've just found a really first rate helmet .... more on that when I get a picture.

Tashi James

great

Post by Tashi James » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:25 am

for training or reenactment?

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Linda Heenan

Extra Pieces

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:57 pm

Bits to make while waiting for shops to restock with eyelets and brass studs:

Top left - quadrilateral sort of like a codpiece. This needs studs before putting top and bottom thick layers together and edging the whole outline with white borders.

Under that one - horse hoof shaped cuffs. These are already overlocked together with white trim handsewn on. They are too thick to sew the border on by machine, as they are made to protect the backs of the hands. Note the gold silk lining. This will also be used on the undervest. Cotton or linen is good, but silk makes the whole outfit slip on and off more easily.

Top right - side pieces, made to fit under the arms and give extra protection to the sides of the body. These will also need studs and white edging.

Bottom - spauldrons, awaiting studs and borders. I would probably use these with the vest even when the sleeves are detached because the upper arm is a likely place to be hit.

I've attached the collar to the vest and it's a little high. I might leave it like that though and take it off altogether when the gorget I've ordered with the helmet finally comes through. That will will about a year away.

Tashi .... I'll post a link to the site soon. Just making sure I actually make it onto the long list before sending others there as well.

Linda Heenan

The next stage

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:04 am

Here's a picture of what the undervest looks like when it's attached. The gambeson is quite thick with this part added and protective enough to prevent bruises.

And here is a close-up of one of the spauldrons. The thin inner white line that completes the border, will be added to the inside of all the white borders before the gambeson is finished. I haven't decided whether to attach the extra pieces with brass buttons and loops, or snap fasteners. The buttons and loops are more historically correct.

Linda Heenan

A Helmet

Post by Linda Heenan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:31 am

Here is the link to the helmets I was talking about a few posts up. They are constructed in similar fashion to a fencing mask but quite a bit stronger. Paul Wagner uses one of these when we train together and they are fine, even for miaodao.

I've ordered one in the hope it may be ready by about next May. Paul says the steel back is necessary for what we do, rather than the leather back, and in fact, if you were thinking of using one in the tournaments, this would be compulsory. If you buy one of these, you will need to put extra padding in the top of the head. They have some, but it should be thicker, to better protect you from a good hit with a two hander.

I've ordered the steel backed version with the upgraded suspension system, hinges and pins. Brigindine bibs are standard. I've asked for a few innovations to make mine fit better with the Chinese "gambeson"

When Paul and I fight outside, I frequently have to move out of the way of sunlight in my eyes, but, his helmet, with the larger steel covering, seems to keep the sun out automatically. This is another advantage. Having seen his helmet in action over the past 6 months, I've decided it is the most comfortably fitting and functional one I've seen so far. http://www.thatguysproducts.com/index.html

Linda Heenan

At Functional Stage

Post by Linda Heenan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:05 am

The gambeson is now in usable condition. Weather permitting, I'll be testing it this weekend.

I've decided to attach the shoulder pieces with press studs. Most of the ones you see are for decoration. I've only used 4-5 on each side to actually attach it. Also, I've positioned them for functionality rather than the neatest look. When worn, they are a little looser than expected. That is so that there is no hinderance to swinging my sword in any direction including a wrap with hand above the head.

The front piece has been temporarily attached with tacking thread. I may leave it that way, or decide later between studs and buttons.

The side pieces will be attached with buttons and loops. There will be detachable sleeves. The tasset is already cut out but I need about another 200 brass studs before putting it together ..... and that'll be it.

The silk lining was a good decision. It slides on and off very easily. I can lace and tie the shoulder, do up the stud at the neck, and snap the shoulder pad down without the help of a squire :D , so it has turned out the way I wanted.

Nik

Post by Nik » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:19 pm

What about working the throat protection UNDER the chest one / vest ? I learned, almost to the point of being able to use them, moves that end up stabbing to the throat in a steep upward angle, that could result in sliding under that protection.

I would recommend to use throat protection like in historical police clothing. Better safe than sorry.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Nik, welcome :). Yes, that's a good idea. I have a gorget ordered that would fit under the gambeson. It'll be almost a year coming though, along with a helmet from http://www.thatguysproducts.com/index.html I still seem to be 38th on the list :wink: I've tested the gambeson quite extensively since that last post, and it protects against bruises with no trouble. I've made the tasset since then, and the kidney protector pieces as well. The sleeves are cut out and I'll get to them soon. I just don't like sewing very much. It all needs to be finished for my trip to America in less than 7 weeks, so there will be pictures of the finished outfit soon.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:55 am

Here it is almost finished. I've been training in it for awhile now but I finished the tasset today and will add removeable sleeves tomorrow. My husband is wearing it. He isn't a swordsman but he is happy to dress up for the camera :D This is my 6th attempt at making a Chinese style gambeson and I'm finally happy with the design.

Image Image

Nik

Post by Nik » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:58 am

Looks cool. Like straight from "Hero Online". :)