Scabbard Repair

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Colin
Scabbard Repair

Post by Colin » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:15 pm

I recently bought a new modern jian that I'm quite happy with for a student sword. After about a year however, the scabbard is beginning to show its faults. The scabbard fittings have become loose, and would probably slide off if not for the small tacks which hold them in place, along with what appears to be a silicon adhesive. The adhesive seems to have failed entirely.

Secondly, a seam along the length of the scabbard appears to be opening where the two halfs were joined. I suspect all these problems might be the result of the scabbard wood drying, as perhaps it was not fully dried when assembled. Perhaps the winter dryness could be contributing to this?

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should seal the wooden seem with something to prevent further seperation, or if this would only happen again until the wood is fully dry (if dryness is the problem). Also, what type of adhesive will best sure it up, the metal fittings and the wood to wood itself.

Thanks for any insights,

Colin

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:24 am

Sounds like you are correct in thinking the wood was not properly dried before making the scabbard. As I recall, Philip Tom told me he cures the wood he uses for scabbards for 10 years. Of course, he's a pro producing top quality scabbards. Unfortunately you probably need a new scabbard unless you can take this one apart & re-glue it.

If you don't repair/replace the scabbard, there is a chance some one will cut their plam when drawing the sword. This almost happened to me once, years ago when I just began my career as an antique arms dealer. I didn't realize that the gap at the sides of the scabbard were open enough for the edge to just slip thru, so as a grasped the scabbard & drew the blade, the edge came in contact with the edge just for a moment. Fortunately, that blade was dull enough not to cut me, but I have been careful ever since.

If this sword isn't worth sending to some one like Philip for a new scabbard, perhaps you can alway go the duct tape route, (it ain't beautiful, but it will protect your hands) or a little fancier & cover it in leather.

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:49 pm

In Indonesia, golok and parang scabbards often have this problem. Even sellers in small shops will yell at you (politely of course) if you try and draw a sword by grasping the scabbard tightly. I think they consider it like walking under a ladder. It is bad luck and a bad idea. They consider the proper way is to hold the scabbard with the tips of the fingers and thumbs so there is no contact with the seams of the scabbard.

Sorry that this does not help you but I thought it was an interesting cultural note.

Josh
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu

Colin

Post by Colin » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:14 pm

Thanks,

Next time I meet a superstitious Indonesian handling a piece of golak I'll know what to do.