miao dao study?

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

msmoothie
miao dao study?

Post by msmoothie » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:49 pm

Here is my second question (after viewing the Sword Festival cd):

The demonstration of the miao dao was very interesting and I would like to learn more about it. For those of us who live in remote areas, are there any study materials on this form available, particularly dvd, that are recommended? Any input greatly appreciated.

Again, many thanks.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Miaodao Study

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:35 pm

The best thing to do is contact: George Hu in Houston, TX at (713)777-4546 & see about visiting him for a few days of intensive training. The

miaodao is a rather straight forward, military form, so it can be learned in a relatively short time. Alternatively, Master Hu (who is my senior Michuan Taijiquan brother) sometimes teaches weekend seminars in miaodao here in DC. Next time he's here, you'd be welcome to join us.

Otherwise, I am not familiar with any other videos or books in English concerning this form.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Miaodao Video Clip with Zhou Jingxuan

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sun May 28, 2006 12:44 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsx6RQhm7A

Very nice, good crisp control, excellent transitions, no drift between deflection & cut, take particular note of the transition from the long energy upward liao cut to the short energy pi (split) cut. Note the way the teacher uses both hands to snap the blade downward for the pi cut.[/url]

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another Miaodao Form Variant

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:35 am

It appears there are a few variants of the short "Four Roads" Miaodao Form, practitioners might find viewing this form of interest...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3e-7KK ... ed&search=