Michuan Jian

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Gretchen MacLane
Michuan Jian

Post by Gretchen MacLane » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:31 pm

I have a question about the next-to-the-last move in Section 7.

Michuan Jian question: in the transition in Section 7 after the three ci thrusts, left hand to right hand, before the last movement, "Fish the Moon," there seem to be two different versions. Robert taught something different and Herve describes pretty much what Robert taught. However, on the tape with Master Wang, he seems to do what you do in your book, which is to raise the sword vertical pointing up. Herve has the sword horizontal and I seem to remember Robert maybe had the sword horizontal or downward vertical.

It would seem that you learned an earlier version, the one on the tape? And something might have changed when Robert and Herve learned it? Do you have an answer?

Thanks, Gretchen MacLane

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:17 am

For general reference, we are discussing the movements from pages 169-170 in my book, Chinese Swordsmanship.

The first point I would make note of is that Wang Laoshi has taught different variation of this form, as well as others. We should note that there is more than one correct way to do any given movement. These variations in forms reflect different martial applications. I always encourage Great River students not to be dogmatic, but to learn all the varations to widen their understanding of the forms & thus the art itself.

As for the movement from the sword form in questions, without discussing this with classmates, both of whom are excellent teachers in their own right, I assume they are thinking of the application of this movement as they perform it. When I learned this movement, as well as others where the jian pionts straight up, I could no understand what in the world was the application? I mean who could be attacking from directly overhead? None of my classmates in Taiwan knew the application for this either, I had even joked that perhaps it was for when attacked by elephant cavalry! If one stood still & positioned oneself so that the elephant passed directly overhead, ie, one was between its legs, one could poke 'em in the private bits as it passed. However, I'm not sure its a good idea to poke an elephant there.

Seriously, without a idea of the proper application of this movement, the mind intent was lacking. So I approached Wang Laoshi for an explanation. He demonstrated for me how you use these upward thrusting movement to intercept a downward blow, either poking into the duifang's hand or his weapon, if it is made of wood. So while this movement is performed thrusting vertical in the form, it is used at an angle in application. I assume both teachers, Robert & Herve are thinking of this application.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:31 am

Scott M. Rodell wrote:...Wang Laoshi...demonstrated for me how you use these upward thrusting movement to intercept a downward blow, either poking into the duifang's hand or his weapon, if it is made of wood...

Once I learned this application, I often practiced the form with my jian an at angle, aiming at a target. Outside, I used tree limbs, & in the school, there were the brackets holding the ceiling tiles to aim at. After a time of such training, one becomes quite accuarate, & I have found it is not as difficult to use an upward thrust to intercept an attack as one might think. But perhaps more importantly, for our understanding of swordsmanship, is the jingshen represented by having such a technique encoded in our form. To apply this intercepting thrust, one must not only have a pin point accurate thrust, but be able to apply such a thrust under the pressures of dangerous combat. Jian swordsmanship embodies the ideal of calm in the face of terrible conflict.