questions on Yangshi Taiji Dao

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

ynze
questions on Yangshi Taiji Dao

Post by ynze » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:16 am

these question arose during our group training.

6. Left foot on toe at ankle, right hand up in knife edge
7. Change hands. Cross left foot in front of right and turn clockwise, cutting as you go
8. Deflect/taitui/Hua
9. Deflect, Jie

When I turn in line 7 I think I will turn on the front of my foot. When I land are my feet parallel???

20. Turn into taitui, Lu (claw down), sink into front leg and Pu
question on the pu is the palm facing forward or more the side of the hand? does that apply to all the pu's in the form?

what is the correct translation for pu?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: questions on Yangshi Taiji Dao

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 am

ynze wrote:these question arose during our group training.

6. Left foot on toe at ankle, right hand up in knife edge
7. Change hands. Cross left foot in front of right and turn clockwise, cutting as you go
8. Deflect/taitui/Hua
9. Deflect, Jie

When I turn in line 7 I think I will turn on the front of my foot. When I land are my feet parallel???
No, your feet are never both on the ground at the same time during the turn, or as you come out of it. After you step across with your left foot, your rotate on the left heel as you turn around & the left foot ends up with the toe facing the diagonal.
ynze wrote:20. Turn into taitui, Lu (claw down), sink into front leg and Pu
question on the pu is the palm facing forward or more the side of the hand? does that apply to all the pu's in the form?

BTW, because questions like this are much easier to answer by demonstration that words, I will be offering private lessons over Skype to current students in the near future. I'm in the Beta testing phase at the moment...

what is the correct translation for pu?
The pu strikes are done with the edge of the hand, with the fingers pointing upward.