Basic Cuts of the Public Sword Form

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Colin
Basic Cuts of the Public Sword Form

Post by Colin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:49 pm

I'd like to get a better understanding of the 13 basic cuts in motion. So I'd appreciate being able to view video that looks at them to some degree until I can get to a seminar.

What about putting a few on the site Scott as time allows?

Or do any fellow students have such relevant links?

Regards,

Since we got this nice title here, why not use this space to discuss the 13 cuts, their subtleties and variations within postures.
Last edited by Colin on Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linda Heenan

Edit:

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:00 pm

I've just changed this entire post. All of the Basic Cuts are explained very well in Laoshi's book. It is easy to learn the 8 from the Michuan Form by using the Applications DVD alongside the the descriptions and pictures in the book.

The others, from the Public Form, which I haven't begun to work on yet, and therefore took no notice of up until now, are explained in the book in the same way as the first 8 on pages 51-58. I expect it would be fairly easy, with that much information, to watch the video of the Public Form, available on this site, and work them out properly. At least, that's what I plan to do unless I haven't got that far by the time Laoshi arrives in Australia for our camp.

So... vital equipment for those without a face to face teacher:

1. Chinese Swordsmanship by Scott Rodell

2. Applications DVD

3. Video of the Public Form. The bottom one found on this site,http://www.grtc.org/video/index.html

Just the same, I wouldn't mind something as clear as the Applications DVD for the Public cuts as well.

Linda

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Basic Cuts of the Public Sword Form

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:43 am

Colin wrote:...better understanding of the 13 basic cuts in motion... appreciate... video...
I understand that it's not always easy to understand what is going on with a movement from still photos in a book, so I plan to do a video for the 13 basic cuts of the public system in the future, unfortunately, just everythig takes time!

In the meatime, you might try comparing the book form descriptions in Chinese Swordsmanship with the video posted on this site*. For example see the description of Face the Wind, Brush Away the Dust on pg. 226. You'll note I use the Mandarin terms for each basic cut in the movement descriptions. You can read the desciption making note of which cuts are being employed, then view the quicktime video. This movement is about 2/3's of the way thru the video. View it, back it up & watch it again. (Note that this video is free public service video & you are welcome to download it, burn it onto a CD, etc.)

*see: http://www.grtc.org/video/yangshijian2003high.html