dao question

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

ynze
dao question

Post by ynze » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Here's a question that was asked during dao training yesterday. We're a group of people that come together every month to train in practical swordplay. We train mostly jian 98% and a little bit dao form. The people that train have different back grounds.

In the taiji dao form there are several moves where we place the left hand at the back of the dao for strength etc. When you walk the form everything is under control, but what happens if you want to use this technique during a fight. You're coordination might be of. One of us said that he had learned during some Japanese sword fighting to first bring the left hand to the guard and slide it down the back from there so the hand is always at the right position and does not slip past the blade during a quick move.

I don't think we do that in the dao form Rodell Laoshi has taught us, but what are you're thoughts. Would it be more practical?? Up until now I have not used the dao during sparring (unfortunately) so I could not say.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: dao question

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 am

ynze wrote:...In the dao form there are several moves where we place the left hand at the back of the dao... walk the form everything is under control, but what happens ... to use... technique during a fight... One... learned during some Japanese sword... first bring the left hand to the guard and slide it down the back from there so the hand is always at the right position and does not slip past the blade during a quick move.

I don't think we do that in the dao form laoshi has taught us, but what are you're thoughts. Would it be more practical?? Up until now I have not used the dao during sparring (unfortunately) so I could not say.
Our Yangshi taiji dao (saber) form doesn't use the technique that you described, but I see no reason to be dogmatic. If you find that this technique works for you, use it.

Concerning the specific use of the hand on the back of the blade, you only do this when one is moving in very close to the duifang. But regardless, one obviously needs to train this technique diligently &, in time, with a live blade, to be able to apply it at full speed & power.