3rd Duan

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Baba Deep
3rd Duan

Post by Baba Deep » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:24 pm

Is there anyone else out there who finds the Third Duan as confusing as I do? My teacher has always described it as "a mindfuck," and now that I'm learning it, I can see why.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:31 am

No, what do you find confusing about it? When first learning the Third Section, it is not uncommon to accidentally go into a section of the Second Section.

Perhaps a greater familiarity with the martial application o the Third Section movements would help by putting them into a meaningful context?

Baba Deep

Post by Baba Deep » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:57 pm

My teacher is actually pretty good at explaining the martial applications. What I find confusing is that there are so many elements from the 1st and 2nd Duans but are altered subtly. So many smaller angle changes. It's not so much that it's difficult, just confusing in that there are so many instances of something starting off familiar, then instantly vilating that familiarity. I guess it just requires a greater degree of attention.

Mark Linett

Third Duan

Post by Mark Linett » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:53 pm

Something that may be helpful is to sit and visualize going through the duan. You might want see where you get stuck or where the confusion lies. Also when practicing take a look at those places where the confusion is and work them until there is no thought.

Also looking at the third duan as a separate form without making too strong a connection to the first and second duan might be helpful.