First question!

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

KidPeng
First question!

Post by KidPeng » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:30 am

This post is partially a test to see if my account is indeed working, but here's a question:

After watching Master Wang do the first section of the michuan form on Bede's site, I noticed that he literally brushed his knee during "brush knee". What's the application of this, or is it meant to train something separate in the context of the form? Or does it not really have any special significance? I don't think you would actually brush your knee in sanshou...

[%sig%]

Scott m. Rodell

Re: First question!

Post by Scott m. Rodell » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:40 pm

...After watching Master Wang do the first section of the michuan
...I noticed that he literally brushed his
> knee during "brush knee". What's the application of this...

Master Wang has always been both very athletic & flexible. I assume he brushed his knee to emphasize that we should go that low & not be lazy...

KidPeng

Post by KidPeng » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:05 pm

Ok, cool. That's interesting, actually, watching the video with that in mind--"brush knee" is one of the only places he really makes such a large, low, movement. Eveyrthing else seems to be a little smaller and higher up. I'm guessing this is because for brush knee, the application doesn't work if you don't go low (the application of using your palm against the duifong's knee), in addition to Master Wang being an athletic person?

[%sig%]

Scott m. Rodell

Post by Scott m. Rodell » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:54 pm

Master Wang alway did the form in a fairly 'natural' postion for the most part. That is, how one might actually be standing or moving as one walked down the street. This is one of the things I like about this form & the way we practice tuishou, its from a postion that is realistic instead of a very deep stance that one would have to get into to use. However, that is not to say there aren't deeper more demanding movements that serve to strengthen & stretch the body in the form. Look at it this way, if you can easily sweep low to deflect a knee high kick (something that you probably wouldn't be able to do fast enough to be effective, instead you'd use taitue for example) its very easy to sweep aside kicks aimed higher up.