Studying the Martial Applications

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin
Studying the Martial Applications

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:52 am

There has been a lot of good discussion of form applications in the General Taijiquan Forum here. I have a suggestion for how to approach the study of the form's martial applications. Typically one learns a single application for each movement the first time around. Once you feel confident in your understanding of a particular application, see if you can work out how to use the same movement in a similar fashion when dealing with a strike for the opposite limb to the one you learned the first application to.

For example let's look at the danbian, single whip, movement from the first section of the Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan form. Beginning the movement from Drag down, you, lu (rollback) the duifang's grab or strike with his left arm, capturing his center, & then use the hook hand to pull him down & off balance, so that you are free to use the knuckles of the hook to strike his throat. What about using this movement if the duifang is grabbing or striking with his right hand? You can still use the lu movement to deflect his movement but are then in a compremised position with the duifang's left arm behind you. If you quickly follow up your lu with a lie (split) where your hook wraps around his right arm at the elbow, you can snap the duifang's elbow joint before he has a chance to strike with his left. Naturally, this all has to be down in one fluid, quick movement, not in parts.

While the alternative application I describe above would not be the prefered manner to deal with a duifang's right hand strike, one cannot always count on being in the best position possible, facing one's duifang. This application might be the only possiblity one if suddenly attacked from the side whether facing a single or mulitple duifang.

Dante

Post by Dante » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:14 pm

I don't know how I missed this post, but I like it. Consider this app for the first part of single whip. After drag down is neutralized the duifang is pushing your right hand back toward your face with his/her left hand. You continue with the form and end up in a wrist turn press a la the first lock from Master Hu's chin na form. Hard to describe apps in writing. Hope this makes sense.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Try Working with Repluse Monkey

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:58 am

I like Dante's application for Single Whip, I hadn't thought of that one. This reminds me of the old saying, "A beginners should know application per movement from the form, an intermediate student should know 3 & a master ten thousand." It just goes to show how useful & important the environment of a good school is. Dante has always had an interest in locking applications, so he tends to find those in his study of the form. I have always tended to use strikes, so tend to see those first. With "ten thousand" possiblities, no one can find them all in even ten life times, but seeing them through others eyes keeps us all learning & from becoming dogmatic in our approach.

I want to also suggest working with the Repulse Monkey movements. Its a movement that is rich with all kinds of applications that are easy to use. At my last Saturday GRTC seminar we worked on 4 & I demonstrated a fifth. The following week, I worked out on sixth & tested it with Dante. Which naturally lead us to look at the counter.

So take a look at Repulse Monkey working on these variables: Change the approaching limb; work with your duifang attempting a grab & strike; Change the targets you will return the duifang's energy to (hint: try the side of the body, front of the body, throat & eyes - all carefully please) & change the tool you are are using so that it is appropriate for each target (fingers, palm, etc...); have your duifang remain stationary at first, then have him or her move in; & find the striking, locking & yes, even the throwing applications. I don't want to give away too mang hints, the fun is in the exploration...

Repulse Monkey is especially useful for keeping a wrestler off balance & unable to close with you to grapple for a take down.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Try Working with Repluse Monkey

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:58 pm

Scott M. Rodell wrote:...find the striking, locking & yes, even the throwing applications...
I was thinking "throwing applications" is not the right term, it tends to make one think of hip throw kind of throws. I'm thinking take down is a better term because many movements which have applications that are designed to put the duifang on the ground do so with a strike, trip, spiltting action or even a pull down. One can also vary the manner in which a lock is applied so that it either snaps the joints while leaving the duifang standing, or twists the joint in such a way that they want to go down.