first section first move

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Dante
first section first move

Post by Dante » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:00 pm

I'm curious what you guys think of using the right hand to deflect an attack to the midsection and striking with the left hand in the first move of first section. By the time you turn to the left to start the next sequence, you have a minimum of five points of contact with your duefang (sp?) meaning a minimum of five chances to end a conflict. There's joint locking as well as throws in there. Any thoughts?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:25 pm

Well if I am visualizing what you mean correctly, I could see using the right hand to lu aside a strike aimed at my right ribs, quickly cover it with my left, while bringing the right hand thru the opening as usual to counter strike with the palm. This shouldn't be any slower than the standard 'text book' application where you deflect with the left hand.

As for a locking application of this move, think of the right hand pulling the duifang's right arm at the wrist downward at a 45 degree angle, & 45 degrees to his centerline across the front of his body, while the left hand moves forward to give a short energy strike or push to the duifang's right elbow, snapping the joint & pushing him back off balance, & quickly following with the standard palm, strike to the heart or head, or pushing him further away, as the situation calls for. Note that I said to use short energy on the duifang's elbow. This is because you don't want to move him too far away or you won't be able to follow up with the right palm.

Dante

Post by Dante » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:27 am

Thanks for the reply Laoshr. Definitely good food for training. I really wish we could have a video application of the week, but whose got the time. I'd like to share a couple of thoughts that I have been playing with in my practice. I hope this makes sense. In this piece of the form, when using the right hand to deflect midsection attacks, it takes no energy on the part of the receiver to deflect the attack from the outside. That means the attacker is also striking with the right hand. Deflecting on the inside is a little trickier. I tested this with a partner striking my stomach with full power. Just dropping my arm down on the outside of the elbow with no arm power and the smallest of waist turns completely neutralized the attack. I found that this works if the duefang is in front of you or at the 45 angle or somewhere in between. So what the form says to me is turn the duefang to the 45. Therefore, I can deflect low with the right hand and strike almost simultaneously with the left hand to the side to head. Making sure to not use my arm, but to use the waist to turn the duefang to the 45. It's basically like brush knee. So as not to be too verbose, I'd like to consider throws and locks in another post. Plus Xavier is calling. Peace.