Directions in Section Two

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Linda Heenan
Directions in Section Two

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:08 am

I am learning section 2 by means of the red book and a DVD. For me, memorising the sequence is the first step and it will be followed later by working with someone who can help me correct everything. It is difficult to be sure of directions from a DVD, so I'd really appreciate it if someone could write either cardinal or diagonal next to each movement that I've worked on so far. Later, when I've learnt some more, I'll list the next lot. Here are the movements up 'til today, as named in the red book:

1. Right, straddle the tiger, climb the mountain (cardinal?)
2. Left, straddle the tiger, climb the mountain
3.Right, turn, palm three times
4. Right, grasp the sparrow's tail
5. Right, seal it closed
6. Left, turn palm three times
7. Left. grasp the sparrow's tail
8. Left, seal it closed
9. Right, step forward, draw downward
10. Left, half single whip
11. Left, push the mountain into the sea
12. Right, push the mountain into the sea
13. Left, horizontal elbow
14 Right, horizontal elbow
15. Left, punch from underneath the elbow
16. Right, punch from underneath the elbow
17. The monkey retreats left and right
18. Left, step forward, raise the arm, thrust the palm to the heart
19. Right, step forward, raise the arm, thrust the palm to the heart
20.Right, push
21. Right, single arm sweep
22.Right, elbow, shoulder
23. Draw downward, elbow shoulder
24. Right, step forward, thrust the palm to the heart
25. Step back, the white crane spreads it's wings
26. Left, brush the knee, twist step

That's about a third of it I think. More in a few weeks. Thanks to whoever knows it well and has time to give me the directions.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:27 pm

Okay, I have these now. Mark Linett, an Advisor to AYMTA, sent them to me. I will post them here soon for others to use. Mark lives in Taiwan and has practised with Master Wang since 1982. He has offered to do the rest of the directions for me when I need them. If anyone else is interested, just ask, and I'll post them on my way through Section 2.

Linda

Linda Heenan

Here it is

Post by Linda Heenan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:42 am

Facing Front Imagine yourself standing in the centre where all the lines cross, and facing number 8

URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

1.Right, straddle the tiger, climb the mountain 2
2. Left, straddle the tiger, climb the mountain 1
3.Right, turn, palm three times 5
4. Right, grasp the sparrow's tail 5
5. Right, seal it closed 5
6. Left, turn palm three times 1
7. Left. grasp the sparrow's tail 1
8. Left, seal it closed 1
9. Right, step forward, draw downward 2
10. Left, half single whip 2
11. Left, push the mountain into the sea 5
12. Right, push the mountain into the sea 7
13. Left, horizontal elbow 4
14 Right, horizontal elbow 8
15. Left, punch from underneath the elbow 6
16. Right, punch from underneath the elbow 6
17. The monkey retreats left and right 6
18. Left, step forward, raise the arm, thrust the palm to the heart 6
19. Right, step forward, raise the arm, thrust the palm to the heart 6
20.Right, push 7
21. Right, single arm sweep 7
22.Right, elbow, shoulder 7
23. Draw downward, elbow shoulder 5
24. Right, step forward, thrust the palm to the heart 6
25. Step back, the white crane spreads it's wings 6
26. Left, brush the knee, twist step 6
[/img]
Last edited by Linda Heenan on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:32 pm

Here are the next movements I'm about to start on - directions posted for future reference. Use the same diagram as above:

27. Right, Raise the curtain #6
28. Right, Search for the Needle at the Bottom of the Sea #6
29. Right, the Green Dragon Emerges from the Water #6
30. Right, Turn, Cast the Body Aside, Punch #6 turn facing #8 then right leg kick to #3, then punch to #1
31.Right, Hold Off #3
32. Right, Grasp the Sparrow's Tail #3
33. Right, Seal it Closed #3
34. Left, Hold Off #1
35. Left, grasp the Sparrow's Tail #1
36. Left, Seal it Closed #1
37. Right, Step Forward, Draw Downward #2
38. Left, Single Whip #2
39. Hands Billowing like the Clouds start off facing #2,turn to #6
(the movements are practiced on the #2----#6 cardinal line
40.Left, Single Whip #2
41. Step Forward, Right, Pat High on the Horse #6
42. Right, Push #7
Last edited by Linda Heenan on Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:45 am

Hands Billowing like the Clouds is hard. There are many different parts to it. I've been working on it for a week now and only got half way through. I think the whole sequence repeats, though, in which case, I'm nearly finished. Would someone please help me by confirming or denying the complete repetition of the sequence.

Linda

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:39 am

Linda Heenan wrote:Hands Billowing like the Clouds... are many different parts... help me by confirming or denying the complete repetition of the sequence.
This movement is made up of four parts or applications, the first is using a peng to deflect upward while the fingers of the opposite hand jabs, this if followed with a lan (twist of the joint); one then turns to the opposite cardinal direction & uses peng jin to deflect & then thrust, which is followed by a lu (rollback); then sequence repeats.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Thank you, Laoshi. That helps a lot :)

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:28 pm

I will be moving on to the next set of directions in a few days and will post them here as I have them. In the meantime, I have a question for Laoshi, or anyone else who knows, on the squat moves that are coming up next in the Section 2 form.

How does a person begin training to achieve a position as low as you do, on the DVD? Also, I have watched movies of people from a different Yang style performing something similar, that they call Snake Creeps Down. It begins differently and the movement we have in section 2 seems more difficult because of its descent on the right leg (in the first one), while the left thigh is parallel to the ground. I've also noticed they turn the rear foot just before they descend. Would you please comment on this. Here's a picture:

Linda Heenan

Moving on

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:27 am

Please feel free to answer the questions above. I'm posting the next part because I have already moved on. I still can not do the squat on the right leg very well. It's easier on the left leg because it is so similar to something in section 1 of the sword form, which I worked on for 6 months.

Here's the diagram again, for easy reference:

Facing Front Imagine yourself standing in the centre where all the lines cross, and facing number 8

URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

43. Left, draw downward, squat 5
44. Right, separate the feet 7
45. Step back, left, pat high on the horse 6
46. Left, push 5
47. Right, draw downward, squat 7
48. Left, separate the feet 5
49. Left. turn and kick 2
50. Left, brush the knee, twist step 2
51. Step forward, right, brush the knee, punch the abdomen* (groin) 2
52. Step forward, left, brush the knee, punch the abdomen * (groin) 2
53. Turn and squat, right, pull up 6
54. Step forward, left, pull up 5
55. Right, punch from underneath the elbow 5
56. Right, kick 5
57. Turn back, right, pat (high on) the horse 7
58. Squat, left, hit the tiger 3

Linda Heenan

The last bit.

Post by Linda Heenan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:07 pm

Here are the directions for the last movements in Section 2, provided by Mark Linett. I hope this will be helpful for anyone learning by themselves in the future, or for those who have learnt in a class but can't quite remember the details. I'm working on these movements now and should have the whole second section memorised within the next 10 days. Of course, that is only the beginning. Now I need to find someone to help me improve each movement and someone to practise applications with.

Using the same direction chart from up above:

59. Turn, right, hit the tiger 8

60. Draw downward / Drive forward, right, kick 8

61. Right, a double blow pierces the ears 8

62. Left. a double blow pierces the ears 8

63. Draw downward / Drive forward, 8 / left, kick 4

64. Right, turn, tame the tiger 8

65. Step forward Yinyang legs 6

66. Right, hold off, punch 7

67. Seal it closed 7

68. Left, hold off, punch 5

69. Seal it closed 5

70. Cross the hands 8

71. Carry the tiger back to the mountain 8

Please note that #63 Draw down is practiced facing direction #8, then turn to direction #4 for the kick.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:55 pm

Linda Heenan wrote:... Snake Creeps Down.... noticed they turn the rear foot just before they descend. Would you please comment on this. Here's a picture:
For the movement Snake Creeps Down, you should turn your rear foot to the cardinal direction, not toward the rear diagonal as the preson in the photo you posted is.

When sinking low into any squating down movement the toe. knee & hip should remain in a straight line, otherwise you will stress your knee in a manner that will eventualy caise damage (if not right away). See Zheng Manqing's postion in this photo:

If one cheats, by turning the rear foot past the cardinal towards the rear diagonal, one comits two errors. It is true that the right hip will be more flexible with the rear toe turned out further, however, this position is also less stable & thus it diminishes the martial function, if not removing it completely. Also, it is more likely that with the toe turned back, the knee will collapse inward, stressing the knee joint.

Changing the form in this fashion is an example of how forgetting to keep the original martial intent of a form causes other problems.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:58 pm

Linda Heenan wrote:... the squat... How does a person begin training to achieve a position as low as you do, on the DVD?...
Practice.

Practice the Carry Tiger to the Mountain basic warm-up exercise keep the back as vertical as you can, instead of bow the back as you bend forward.

Stretch all kinds of ways.

Don't give up, or get lazy, or accept that you can do it.

Practice.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Thank you, Laoshi. That is helpful. I have now finished memorising the sequence of movements through Section 2 and am working on the flow and making adjustments to movements. Some of the squat stances are becoming easier as I become less tense moving into them, and I love that statement you just made about never accepting you can't do it :) That sums up my entire experience of taijiquan to this point .... never give up, nothing is impossible if you really want it, keep acting as if you're going to get there in the end no matter what anyone might say. It is easy to run through the form and do all the movements higher, without trying to get the squats right.... Sometimes I've been doing that, but I suppose, every time I do it's one less opportunity to work on something and make it a little better ... so, no more cheating :wink:

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:51 am

Linda Heenan wrote: ... so, no more cheating...
Several years ago, two of our senior DC students moved to Taiwan to continue their training. Some of the students practicing with Wang Laoshi would go into the low squating movements by first stepping forward with the front foot, then taking a second step backwards with the rear foot (instead of just going right down with one fluid step). These same students also had to use their hands to push off the ground to get back up, instead of just lstanding up with one leg as the movement calls for. Seeing our GRTC boys going right down & up again on one leg, one less vigorous student asked one, how do you do that? He answered simply, "that's just the way we do it at Great River." He wasn't meaning o be haughty, just that we only aim at doing it one way, the correct way & don't even think of looking for another way that might be easier.

Baba Deep

Post by Baba Deep » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way, but instead of using numbers, why wouldn't you just use compass directions (north, south, etc.)? This is the way my teacher instructs, and is more in keeping with traditional Chinese philosophic tradition (I Ching, etc.) also probably one of the reasons we do the 13 postures the way we do it. Keep in mind that when we start we should be facing south.