Chin-na?

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Tashi James
Chin-na?

Post by Tashi James » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm

How involved is chin-na {locks} in this system? It is a topic of particular interest, so any thought are greatly appreciated.

cross refrenced for others interested;

http://www.grtc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169

Laoshr cites in the following thread that an advanced student should be able to use each movement as a strike a lock or a takedown.

http://www.grtc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:38 am

Master George Wu has said that in every movement there is a strike, a kick, a lock, and a throw.

They are there is you look, but I'd say that aren't accentuated. Ban-lan-chui clearly has some locking in it. Grasp sparrow's tail is another.

Keep looking, they are there.

Tashi James

Chi na

Post by Tashi James » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:08 pm

have experience with locking, throws {not in terms of hip throws, sucide throws and shoulder throws} and submissions; the problem n is that though the application is accessable I have to relearn it using taijiquan principles. And am not always certain of it in those terms.

Was curious also as to whether there are "textbook" variations such as is with grasp sparrows tail and split.
Last edited by Tashi James on Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

Tashi James

another link to a hint on this by Laoshi

Post by Tashi James » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:53 pm

http://www.grtc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52

in martial applications

So take a look at Repulse Monkey working on these variables: Change the approaching limb; work with your duifang attempting a grab & strike; Change the targets you will return the duifang's energy to (hint: try the side of the body, front of the body, throat & eyes - all carefully please) & change the tool you are are using so that it is appropriate for each target (fingers, palm, etc...); have your duifang remain stationary at first, then have him or her move in; & find the striking, locking & yes, even the throwing applications. I don't want to give away too mang hints, the fun is in the exploration...

Although Laoshi , has made this statement in referance to repalse monkey. I think it is fair to say that it applies to all movements. Please pull me up on this if I am mistaken..

Tashi James

more cross reference

Post by Tashi James » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:03 pm

As for a locking application of this move, think of the right hand pulling the duifang's right arm at the wrist downward at a 45 degree angle, & 45 degrees to his centerline across the front of his body, while the left hand moves forward to give a short energy strike or push to the duifang's right elbow, snapping the joint & pushing him back off balance, & quickly following with the standard palm, strike to the heart or head, or pushing him further away, as the situation calls for. Note that I said to use short energy on the duifang's elbow. This is because you don't want to move him too far away or you won't be able to follow up with the right palm.

Laoshr was speaking in terms of first move, first section for this..