Fan

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Tashi James
Fan

Post by Tashi James » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:09 pm

I read on some of our publication materials that there is also fan form. Where is this placed in the Michuan system?; Or is it still taught in the Michuan system?
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:39 am

As far as I know, Master Wang created the fan form. He took aspects of the Michuan sword form and combined them with some aspects of the empty hand form. Fan form teaches you to be soft and how to fajin.

As for when it is taught, that's a bit tougher to answer. Christian has taught it to some of the Russian students. I am not sure if Scott has taught it to anyone in the States.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fan Form

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:46 am

Years ago I learned & practiced the Yen-nien Fan Form. Ian is correct that it was created by Master Wang. So we could say it is in the style of the Yang Family Michuan Taijiquan, but it was not originally a part of the system as created by Yang Luchan.

There was a time I found it very useful in my own practice. The fan is very light, so it helps one to fangsong because there is just no way one can muscle the fan. When I was gearing up for the International Tournament in 1990, I practiced the fan form between my hand set & spear drills. The heavier the weapon, the softer one should be. So I practiced the Fan form right before the spear drills to soften before the demands of those drills.

I no longer practice it because I try to keep my practice as compact as I can. That is I don't want to practice so many forms that all my time is spent practicing a cycle of different forms just so I can remember them & none of my time is spent developing or deepening my skills. As Ian mentioned above, many of my classmates know the Fan form well & when when of my students is interested in & ready for learning the Fan form, I send them to one of my classmates.

Tashi James

fan form

Post by Tashi James » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:44 pm

Okay,

as I still have alot of fangsong to do it is still of interest. Though all in good time. Thanks Laoshr and Iglazer for your replies
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

vincenzo

Post by vincenzo » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:16 pm

iglazer wrote: Christian has taught it to some of the Russian students.

Christian Bernapel?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:27 am

vincenzo wrote:Christian Bernapel?

Yes.