Zhou.... I think

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Linda Heenan
Zhou.... I think

Post by Linda Heenan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:00 am

Hello everyone. I'm working on learning 1st Section Michuan empty hand form and have got stuck on something. It's in the sequence that comes straight after the first single whip, and if you have Master Wang's book, it is described in pictures 68-69. What I can't see from the pictures or the DVD I have, is the exact position of the hands and the position of the left arm. The book doesn't give enough description and even viewing my 2nd Section DVD doesn't really explain because there seems to be variations in the movement - an elbow strike, I think.

Could someone please give me a detailed explanation of how to do that movement. I'm, fine with the feet and angle of the body. It's just the hands and position of the left arm.

Linda
Last edited by Linda Heenan on Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linda Heenan

More information

Post by Linda Heenan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:56 pm

Okay, here is a scan of the book I was referring to. Pictures 68 and 69 show the body position clearly, but the hands are hidden. I can think of three different ways to interpret the description for hand position. Someone might be able to post a picture to illustrate the correct way. Also, are the hands together in front of the sternum, or to one side of the chest? Any help would be appreciated. I could post a picture of me doing it the way I think it might be so someone could tell me how to correct it.... but that's just scary... :shock:

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/8523/zhou29iv.jpg

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:23 am

Now this looks really dumb. I've just noticed that on the next page, there is a picture of the same movement from the other side and it shows the hand position. I had looked everywhere else but on the very next page.

So, having worked that out, I'm moving on. It would be nice to hear some comments on the movement though. What do you all know about the elbow strike? How and when would you use it. What exeriences have people had in actual combat, using this movement?

G-Man

Post by G-Man » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:30 pm

I haven't had much luck incorporating this movement into my taijiquan beyond single-hand tuishou. In tuishou, it usually comes up when someone is pushing on my forearm but not through my center. This allows me to yield quickly by folding the forearm in and coming in with the elbow.

In T.T. Liang's translation of the Song of Elbow-Stroke, there's a footnote that says this basic movement should contain the "chopping fist" that comes from folding outward. I think this is good to keep in mind, as we only see the folding inward to the shoulder-stroke demonstrated in the form. Liang talks about this folding technique in general on pg. 27 of his book.

Can anyone else can think of other good examples of using the "folding technique" in their practice?