Right, step forward, thrust the palm to the heart

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

ynze
Right, step forward, thrust the palm to the heart

Post by ynze » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:12 pm

This is a question on an application from the first duan. Although it can also be found later on in the form.

After the second shoulder strike we get: Right, step forward, thrust the palm to the heart. (book 1, photo 78 - 80)
In the applications book photo's 212 - 216

The duifang punches with the left fist, when you catch the punch with crossed hands then the left hand greps the wrist and pulls. When I practice this I cannot punch to the heart because either the duifangs left arm/shoulder is in the way, but mostly by pulling the arm the duifang turns. I can then hit the head or punch the lower ribs. But that's not what I'm supposed to do.

Does anybody have some pointers??

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Right, step forward, thrust the palm to the heart

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:49 am

The Step Forward & Thrust to the Heart is a splitting movement. It can be used in response to either a grab or strike from either the duifang's left or right hand. The deflecting hand, your left in the First Section (Diyi Duan) does not grab he incoming limb, but pushes it to the outside & down, creating an opening for the right hand palm strike. Note this is one movement, so the strike happens as the opening is being created. There are times when the duifang has rotated his or her body as he or she was striking, making it difficult to strike to the heart. In these cases it is not incorrect to strike the side of the head instead of the heart.

I hoe this helps answer your question...

ynze

Post by ynze » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 am

Thanx laoshi,

it does.

ynze

Post by ynze » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:12 am

Reading is a hard thing to do! Reading it all and understanding it all, that is.
I’m referring to the books of master Wang.

Laoshi’s description made it even worse because our timing got off even more.
First it was intercept and kick, bring arm down and strike. We did the technique both on a left and right hand strike.
Then we learned from laoshi’s answer both come together. When applying this on a right hand strike there were so many steps to take: kick, put down left foot, step with the right foot(why I’m already there) and then strike. The duifang has plenty opportunity to counter attack with the other arm.

Then we realized the following. On many occasions in the form when we lift our leg to taitui there are a multitude of possible applications with that leg. Here however the kick to the duifangs left frontleg is essential for this sequence. When the duifang pulls back his left leg I follow with my right leg and press his arm down and can strike to the heart. I do not turn the duifang as we did before and my stepping fits the situation, the timing is right.

When we checked the book of master Wang it was all there, we just did not interpret things correctly.

Tashi James

Post by Tashi James » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

IMHO Don't be too concerned, it's part of the progression. Journey not destination and all that.

Practically speaking there is always a refinement that can be made in terms of the form and applications as an art form. In a martial context - combat is chaos - you need to be adaptable, make minor adjustments to distance, trajectory and maintain awareness of your environment and other duifang. (Think about the cat analogy in the classics) In time your movement will become intuitive and spontaneous, it will all begin to click, and you may sit back thinking about what you did that was different/correct. Ultimately you want to go back to basics, and not try to replicate it because its impossible. There is always change, thus the duifang will have slightly different angle of approach, your footwork will be slightly off or there will be some other misalignment or tension that throws things off.

Just flow with it, take in the details and technical components of the art, dare I say experiment...with patience and perseverance it will all fall into place.

All the best
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).