Dadao

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

Freebooter
Dadao

Post by Freebooter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:19 am

For viewing, comparing and comments.

Some are in very good condition, others have seen a hard life in battle, many different styles and contruction methods and differing qualities, some would have been very fine swords in their day.
The larger piece is a massive presentation piece but despite its size it plays in the hand wonderfully either as a single handed sabre or double handled chopper.

Gav
Attachments
Dadao compare.JPG
Dadao compare.JPG (64.99KiB)Viewed 10097 times
What comes will come, what goes will go and what stays will stay.
www.swordsantiqueweapons.com

Peter Dekker

Re: Dadao

Post by Peter Dekker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:02 am

Nice to see a grouping of them side-by-side.
The second one from the bottom is especially graceful, it reminds of earlier sabers.

-Peter
Knowing is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.

-Bruce Lee

http://www.mandarinmansion.com
Antique Chinese Arms & Functional reproductions

http://www.manchuarchery.org
Fe Doro - Manchu Archery

Freebooter

Post by Freebooter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:55 am

You have a good eye Peter.

It and the one below it, despite being in need of full restoration are my favorites in the hand and they will be restored to some of their former glory.

I was very interested when aquiring these to note the differing construction styles, some of which Philip touched on in the "Tangs" thread.

I have another 4 or 5 arriving from various places and I'll post another grouping for reference when they are here.

Gav

alfanator

Post by alfanator » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:24 am

Very interesting variations. Do you have any info on the origins and use of the various types?

Freebooter

Post by Freebooter » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:32 pm

alfanator wrote:Very interesting variations. Do you have any info on the origins and use of the various types?
From a use perspective, in general, simple cheap effective fighting blades

My notes and thoughts from the top;

A complete and very hard to find Nationalist army dadao with a guard variation.

I beleive this also to be a pre WWII military dadao.

Early 20th century dadao or average quality, civilian.

Early to mid 20th century 'village made piece' shows to be well forged, hollow ground blade, it of a good weight but is very poorly executed in my eyes, just lacks refinement. the long hilt is interesting. Civilian, maybe made to sell in a tourist market???

A superb 19th century fighter, relic condition but so well made with super quality steel, nice fullering, plays very well in the hand and still cuts well. Balance, play and comfort in the hand is excellent. This piece has everything going for it except condition. My training sword....if only I had time to play with it more....

A beautiful dadao, 19th century. For its massive size it moves very well. Coin motif inlay and a presentation slogan to one side and a dragon to the other. I believe it is quite an old military presentation piece with nice symbolism. The double gourd 'ring' pommel is very interesting too.

Another nice sword in the hand, octagonal guard. I suspect it is early 20th century, though am not certain, maybe more towards late 19th century?

Another nice dadao in the hand, quarterfoil guard, I also suspect this it early 20th century, though am not certain, maybe slightly earlier too.

I hope this has helped some.

If anyone knows more about the massive presentation piece I'd be very interested to know.