Springy swords vs. Rigid swords

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

KyleyHarris
Re: Springy swords vs. Rigid swords

Post by KyleyHarris » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:22 am

Scott M. Rodell wrote: So all of us cutting today are less likely to become as good as we would if we used a traditional blade because we can get away with mistakes that we wouldn't if we used a traditional blade. So what modern practitioner are saying, without realizing it, when they ask for a blade that won't bend, is they want a blade that is strong enough to cover for errors in their technique.

This is an excellent point.. a weaker blade does force you to have a better technique. This is the same as a high end Japanese chef knife with a 7Degree edge that would shatter under normal average use because it requires a chef of excellent skill to cut with such a fine blade.. The advantage of his skill is the ability to use a finer blade for more efficient cutting.

Its also kind of like walking up Squeeky stairs until you learn enough muscle control and grace to walk up without making a noise, rather than always stepping on stone walkways with a heavy foot.

Still.. I do love modern steel and the ability for it to not bend, shatter or take a set, because of the cost savings in blades. Skill needs to increased through practise and careful attention to details I suppose.

The other day I put a slight bend in my Hanwei jian when cutting through a 4" Bamboo.. Only a small bend and hardly an issue.. but it is a good reminder to me to focus clearly on each task.. I think the fact that the bamboo stalk was about 40feet high played a part.. the weight pushed down hard on the cut.