Regulation Qing Dao

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

Conal
Regulation Qing Dao

Post by Conal » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:06 pm

I have seen pictures of various examples of Boxer rebellion era regulation dao, which have the scabbard fittings painted black.

Anyone now why this was done?

Cheers

Conal
"Do or do not, there is no Try"
Yoda

dennee

Re: Regulation Qing Dao

Post by dennee » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:54 am

I have no knowledge of the regs or any other Chinese texts that would shed light on the question, but my guess would be that it was mainly a rust preventative. Secondarily, it may have been used to eliminate the glint of bare metal.

Philip Tom

lacquered fittings

Post by Philip Tom » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:39 pm

I've seen these on occasion as well, usually in partial state of preservation since when rust does begin (in areas where the surface is chipped or abraded to bare metal) it can spread under the lacquer or paint and hasten its peeling or flaking.

I agree with Mr. Dennee, rust prevention and glare suppression are two excellent reasons for putting such a finish on iron hardware. The need for finishing exposed iron has been addressed for centuries in various cultures with controlled oxidation processes such as browning or bluing, or overlay with metals such as copper which will tarnish dark but not rust. The British military and navy had great success with a black painted finish on rifles and other small arms during the World Wars and thereafter. The enamel finish was tough and offered better corrosion resistance (with easier maintenance) than bluing, although like any other finish it will degrade eventually with heavy use and under harsh conditions.
Phil