strange type of dao

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

josh stout
strange type of dao

Post by josh stout » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:05 am

I found this strange one that looks like an overgrown hudiedao blade on a long handle. It was so large and heavy when I received it that I was suspicious, but I etched it a little and a nice pattern and hardened edge showed clearly. It does not appear to be reshaped from something else.

The blade is 25 inches from the guard, the handle is 8 1/2 inches, the weight is 3 lbs 14 oz and the balance is about five inches from the guard. The blade is very thick and triangular in profile. It is 3/4 of an inch wide at the guard.

Has anyone seen something like it? I have been searching old pictures, but so far nothing.
Josh

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j65/p ... mm5658.jpg

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j65/p ... m5658k.jpg

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j65/p ... m5658d.jpg
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu

Philip Tom

recycled polearm

Post by Philip Tom » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi, Josh
Thanks for sharing an interesting piece. What you have is a type of polearm converted to a type of sword. I've seen several with varying lengths of original shaft still intact. The fact that a number of them with essentially similar dimensions have been appearing on the marketplace indicates that these were originally made in some quantity to outfit some sort of military unit. The blade shape is not listed in the 1759 HUANGCHAO LIQI TUSHI. I would guess that this is a pattern adopted sometime in the 19th cent. Unfortunately I have no data as to which unit use them, or what the Chinese name is for this type of blade.

The fact that yours is remounted is underscored by the rather careful shaping and finish on the blade and guard, and the somewhat crude wooden grip.

The original polearm configuration would have used the same guard, a thick brass ferrule or sleeve about 3 in. long below that, and a couple of narrower brass bands further down. The tang would have originally been longer, secured by at least two transverse iron rivets through the shaft (between the bands), and peened over brass escutcheons. The poles were usually of elm wood or a timber of similar hardness.
Phil

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:50 am

Thank you, a converted pole arm was one possibility I had considered. I couldn't figure out how it could be used if the pole were very long given its weight (1800 gm. at last measure). However, a longer handle than what exists would make handling much easier.

The handle is certainly replaced, and appears to have been some sort of turned wood painted black that was too large for the hands and then crudely whittled into shape by an owner and blackened with a blowtorch. In its current configuration it handles like an extra heavy dadao. I just could not figure out why a dadao type weapon would be made with such a heavy blade that looks like it was designed for armour piercing, crushing, and general rending of very tough substances.

It is not clear to me how old the handle replacement is, but given the careful form fitting carving of the handle to fit the crude pommel, it does not appear brand new.

I wish I could find one of these with an original handle. It would be magnificent.
Josh
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu

Philip Tom

looking to buy an unaltered one?

Post by Philip Tom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:18 pm

No, Josh, I don't have one for sale but suggest that you keep eyes out at antique fairs, estate auctions, and gun shows that feature collectible or antique weapons. In fact, the last one with pole that I saw was at the Baltimore Antique Arms show in Timonium a couple years back. As I recall, a dealer from upstate NY had it, don't know if he sold it since then. The pole (assuming that the butt end wasn't cut off) wasn't terribly long, as I recall between 4 and 5 feet. The rest was blade. I picked it up to heft it but of course couldn't attempt any cuts or thrusts with it because of the crowds of people all around.
Phil