Antique fittings

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

Euan
Antique fittings

Post by Euan » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi everyone, first post here, so be gentle!
I was pointed over here by Peter Dekker.

It's a rehash of one I've already asked on SFI (but got no replies)

Since I got my duan jian I've noticed a lot of other duan jian with identical fittings, and a few that are very similar

This has got me thinking, presumably the swordsmiths didn't make the brass fittings? Did they buy them in from elsewhere, was there a small number of fittings makers supplying a large number of smiths? Maybe fittings makers copied each others designs, much like today? Are specific types/styles of fittings attributable to different regions.

I've only noticed one type of fittings that are seen again and again, but I think that's just because I am more familiar with them.

Has anyone noticed other designs that are so widespread?

Image[/img]

Peter Dekker

Post by Peter Dekker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:55 am

Hi Euan,

Welcome to the forum!

The fittings on your duanjian are generally associated to longquan, a village in Zhejiang that is well known for it's sword making for the literati. There is no reliable way of finding out whether this example was actually made there or not, as longquan's succes probably resulted in others copying the style.

The style of your fittings is what we usually refer to as fushou, as it depicts bats (fu) and stylized versions of the character shou. Next to meaning bat, fu sounds the same as happiness or luck. The symbols therefore represent a long and happy life.

Indeed, much like today, it is likely that many forges did not produce their own fittings and bought them from some central source. Like today, there were also a number os set styles you often see appear and I assume they were also copied from eachother.

The fittings on your example are a bit more bulgy than I am used to from this type of fittings, but are otherwise indeed very similar to the other fittings in this style I've seen.

-Peter
Knowing is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.

-Bruce Lee

http://www.mandarinmansion.com
Antique Chinese Arms & Functional reproductions

http://www.manchuarchery.org
Fe Doro - Manchu Archery

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:53 am

Peter Dekker wrote:... Indeed, much like today, it is likely that many forges did not produce their own fittings and bought them from some central source...
And in fact, many "antiques" being sold these days are using fittings that are cast from molds made from antique fittings. A good many of these new "antiques" have the same fu shou fittings your jian has. I once came across a pile of new, recently cast fu shou jian fittings in a flea market in Beijing...