Places to visit in Taiwan?

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

Fei Li
Places to visit in Taiwan?

Post by Fei Li » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:01 am

Dear All,

I am fortunate enough to go on a two week trip to Taiwan in november.
I was wondering if any of you has suggestions on what is worth a visit in terms of martial arts and weaponry/history?
also, are there good spots to find antique weapons?

Any information is highly appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Fei Li

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Places to visit in Taiwan?

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:19 am

Taiwan is probably one of the most expensive places in the world to buy any Chinese Antiques. But it can still be fun to cruise the antique shops. The most important stop to make is the Palace Museum. They don't usually have arms on display, they apparently didn't take the arms collection them them when they fled the Japanese invasion. But te other art is amongst the very best of Chinese art...

See: http://www.npm.gov.tw/en/home.htm

Fei Li

Re: Places to visit in Taiwan?

Post by Fei Li » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:37 am

Thank you for the reply! I have visited the Palace Museum and it is indeed very impressive.
Although it helps if you know what section you want to see, the whole collection is simply overwhelming!

I also noticed that Taiwan is quite expensive when it comes to antiques in general.
Not necessarily a bad thing, they simply know what their old things are worth and treasure them accordingly.
Better than China where they ditch their heritage for a nickel! Bad for western collectors though… :)

Greetings,
Fei Li