Dao

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

David R
Re: Dao

Post by David R » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:01 pm

Thank you for your time and knowledge.
As I do more work on restoration I intend to post more pics, the next job being to make a new guard. I noticed that the originals in the Royal Armouries, Leeds, had more robust guards either cast, and rather like a tsuba, or inverted bowl like raised in one piece from very heavy sheet. The one currently on my sword is thin sheet brass, somewhat tsuba shaped, with a narrow raised edge hard soldered on, and even a small hole to one side.
I would appreciate your opinion and advice, when I finaly make all sound again, would you advise a peened over tang or a tapped and screwed fitting.

David R

Re: Dao

Post by David R » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Today I took my Dao into the Royal Armouries, where it was given a once over by a couple of the curators. They think the mounts are all original, which is nice in one way, but leaves me no excuse now to replace the guard which to me looks somewhat flimsy and poorly fitted. Ah well, just got to finish the polish, rebind the grip and close it all up.
On the other hand they liked the blade and judged it of above average quality for the type.