Box for Sword storage

How to restore antique arms & repair practice swords.

Moderator:Philip Tom

Albert F
Box for Sword storage

Post by Albert F » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has tried making or sourcing a box for either a dao or jian. I am thinking of making a present of either to my teacher and thought it would be nice to present it in a wooden box.

Many thanks,

Albert
Albert F

Dublin Ireland

Graham Cave

Post by Graham Cave » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:26 am

Hi Albert,

I'm in the process of designing boxes for both dao and jian. Unfortunately, most of my time at the moment is being taken up by our Sword Society and the impending UK sword ban. It could be a while before I get a design finalised.

Here's a pic of a prototype - made in softwood for the purpose of sorting out dimensions:

It's simple enough to make a box to put a sword in but a good design takes quite a bit more effort and ruminating over.

BTW, I am a woodworker. Previously I was making furniture and repairing antiques.

Albert F

Post by Albert F » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Graham,

Many thanks for the reply. You can see form the box so far that you 've made that your a dab hand! That's a really tidy job. Have you had a chane to start the inside? How are you going to hold the case closed?

Just as I am writing this I hear on the news of a guy in DUblin who had his hand severed by a samurai sword. All over the news were calls to have swords banned by politicians and all the usual things. I saw your website which is great - finally a site for Chinese swords!

All the best,

Albert
Albert F

Dublin Ireland

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Box for Sword storage

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:28 am

Albert F wrote:... a box for either a dao or jian...
The only antique storage boxes for swords I've ever seen are those made for Qianlong's personal swords. These boxes are all of hardwood & similar to the boxes used for table top storage of scrolls & paintings. (Tired to find an image online but couldn't...).

Albert F

Post by Albert F » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:30 am

Many thanks Scott, I wasn't really too sure whether they were common or not.
Albert F

Dublin Ireland

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:55 pm

Albert F wrote:... whether they were common or not.
Given that I've never come across even one example, I assume they were fairly rare.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Qianlong Sword Storage Boxes

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:32 pm

I did a little follow up research... Issue No. 143 of the National Palace Museum Monthly of Chinese Art (Feb, 1995) had an article about Qianlong's personal weapons & mentions 2 boxes made to store them. This emperor had 60 swords made for his personal use, so he must of had more than 2 boxes for storing them. The 2 boxes the article mentions are one for jian called "Shen Feng Wo Shen" (Sharp Victory in Hand) & one for dao called "Zhan Er Tao Jing" (Getting Better by Working Hard).