My HandSharpening Method for Convex Sword

How to restore antique arms & repair practice swords.

Moderator:Philip Tom

KyleyHarris
My HandSharpening Method for Convex Sword

Post by KyleyHarris » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:07 am

Hello Everyone.

I just wanted to share this video with anyone who is interested.
My Sword Sharpening Video
My Method of FieldSharpening a sword

I saw above that PaulC, made a very good video using traditional and simple methods employing stones and files.

My technique employees a method that is more commonly found in the sharpening of convex knives, and honing of convex knives. This method utilizes a thick leather strop as a backboard, and you apply Sandpaper of various grits on top of the leather.

Stones work fine for experience people, but a much larger amount of skill is required to hone convex edges with solid stones. The Leather is firm, but provides a small amount of Give to the edge which allows the polishing surface to contour to the blade very well.

For chips and nicks you'd use a 120, or 220 grit paper. for a dull blade 400-600 grit paper is very good. 800-1000 paper will put an excellent cutting edge on the sword.

it is also very easy to create a small cheap field kit using a small wood paddle glued with leather and cut sandpaper into small strip which can be locked on with tight rubber bands for hand honing.

under normal circumstances using the leather compound without any sandpaper will keep the edge in excellent sharp condition unless damage or rolling is formed from a miscut.

WARNING:- As stated in Paul's video.. Saftey is paramount, and wearing kevlar gloves is an excellent idea, or leather.. Just as in Cutting practice, when sharpening you must be vigilant to all parts of the blade in relation to your body and hands.

I hope this video is useful to people, and if you have any questions please ask.
Last edited by KyleyHarris on Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

KyleyHarris

Re: My HandSharpening Method for Convex Sword

Post by KyleyHarris » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 am

I have added a second video by request which focuses more clearly on the angles involved
honing convex blades

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:14 am

Where did you get the leather you are using for honing? I'd like to add some of this equipment to my armoury.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

KyleyHarris

Post by KyleyHarris » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:26 am

Linda Heenan wrote:Where did you get the leather you are using for honing? I'd like to add some of this equipment to my armoury.
Linda, I buy my leather from a local New Zealand supplier and get it sliced up, and I make leather hones to sell with the knives I make.

You want to find a local supplier of vegetable tanned leather without any pigments of die. Ideally you want at least 3mm thick leather hide which provides very good support.

The polishing compounds I also buy locally in bulk because its much cheaper.. about $10 worth is a lifetime supply.

My large leather strops are 3inch wide, and 18" long which is very good for large knives and swords. You can glue those onto cut down 2x4 pine or anything really. I make all my stuff myself on a bandsaw from Kwila.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:40 am

I grew up in NZ and have dual citizenship. many family members still live there, so it's possible for me to order from the same place you do :). How about giving me some contact details. I really likethe information you have been sharing with us.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

KyleyHarris

Post by KyleyHarris » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:49 am

I dont mind helping you out with the leather. The place I use is not actually a leather supplier, they are a leather manufacturer that I got through another manufacturing contact who get spare hides every so often so I dont think they sell to the public. (but there are lots that do) They also have a strip cutter because they make belts and I get them made at 3" and 1.5" thicknesses for making sheath belt loops, smaller strops and the large ones.

From what I gather Auzzie has pretty good leather so I imagined you could buy it a lot cheaper there with shipping costs etc.

I'll PM you with some more information if you like

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:52 am

PM coming